Logo

Crusader 8.1 HO Engine

Chris Dewart

I have a 2003 Silverton 38c equipped with the 8.1 HO engines, my starboard engine starts fine and will run as long as 1 hour plus then shuts down to below idle speed for no apparent reason. We have changed impellers, the low pressure fuel pump and the engine still does it. When it goes down I shut it down wait five minute and it will restart and run for about 5 to 10 minutes before doing it again. This weekend took it out on bumpier water and it shut down after bout 40 minutes and it did restart but for only about 30 seconds. Mechanics have checked the engine for codes and it is not throwing off anything so its not a thermostat or low oil pressure issue. The mechanics suggested possibly caused by newly installed Garmin control monitor ? gas issue ?

Looking for nay ideas seasoned Crusader users might have.....

you can disconnect the garmin monitor to isolate it but I would doubt that's the issue.

I'd suspect crud I the tank based on your description.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

what is the fuel tank arrangement - single shared tank or dedicated tanks for each engine?

you can disconnect the garmin monitor to isolate it but I would doubt that's the issue.

I'd suspect crud I the tank based on your description.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

what is the fuel tank arrangement - single shared tank or dedicated tanks for each engine?

No fuel pressure guage but I think we got that by switching pumps and they are dedicated 180 gallon tanks although I believe there are senders on the tanks that allow switching.

I'd venture that switching the pump doesn't tell you anything about a restriction on the suction side. could be crud in tank accumulating on the screen on the pickup tube or at the anti-syphon valve. Until you make some measurements, it will be hard to tell....the best bet would be a vacuum gauge on the suction side...

if you have the plumbing in the fuel system to allow switching tanks, you could try that....

I'd venture that switching the pump doesn't tell you anything about a restriction on the suction side. could be crud in tank accumulating on the screen on the pickup tube or at the anti-syphon valve. Until you make some measurements, it will be hard to tell....the best bet would be a vacuum gauge on the suction side...

if you have the plumbing in the fuel system to allow switching tanks, you could try that....
Thanks, the technician has actually ruled out fuel and belives the problem is actually related to the harness

Back