Logo

200hp Yamaha 4 stroke lower unit

Ijuanafish

My buddy was out last week, ran about 40 miles without any issues, engine was running great. We spot a blitz and he stops so we can cast into it and see what's up.

When he goes to leave, prop didnt spin. Motor works fine in reverse but it has no forward now.

Yamaha is telling him lower unit is shot and needs to be replaced for 4k.

I work on cars for a living. I know, it's a boat. I just cant see how it would be shot if it works in reverse but not forward. I have offered to help him fix it because I have access to alot of tools he doesnt have if he needs them and I'm a more mechanically inclined person than he is.

Truth be told. I changed his lower unit oil a month ago. The bottom plug had like 2 inch tall stack of metal shavings when I pulled it. I changed oil, spilled out of top hole, waited to make sure no air was in there and pumped a bit more in for loss when I went to put in bottom plug, new crush washers etc...and it ran fine over the course of about 8 trips maybe totalling 4 to 500 miles perfectly.

Does this seems accurate from Yamaha? Is there anything I can do to confirm their findings? He asked for a quote to repair and dealer wouldnt do it for him. He is on his way over with only the lower unit. We live about 70 miles away from marina he keeps his boat at.

Anyway this covered by his boat insurance?

Hes a hard working good guy who loves to be on the water. I would like to help him out if at all possible.

I'll edit this post with any part or model numbers I can find.

Truth be told. The bottom plug had like 2 inch tall stack of metal shavings when I pulled it.

I'd say yamaha is spot on. Since you're familiar w/auto mechanics, if you pulled the transmission pan and found metal shavings bc the customer says they're experiencing transmission issues....same issue here. Plenty of used/rebuilt LUs on ebay/craigslist tho if he's looking to save $$$.

I'd say yamaha is spot on. Since you're familiar w/auto mechanics, if you pulled the transmission pan and found metal shavings bc the customer says they're experiencing transmission issues....same issue here. Plenty of used/rebuilt LUs on ebay/craigslist tho if he's looking to save $$$.

Thanks for the response. I got the lower unit and started to take apart. Can Yamaha tell if the lower unit is 100% bad without draining the fluid out of it? It still moves in reverse there is just no click from the shift rod when rotating to go forward.

I have seen shavings in transmissions before. But it doesnt doom the entire transmission. Some are junk while others are simply parts that have been worn down due to lack of maintenance that can be replaced.

There can be any number of problems within a lower unit that will prevent the part from doing its job. Could be as simple as the unit failing to shift into forward gear. The forward gear could be broken. No way of knowing (that I know of) without disassembling and inspecting the lower unit.

Some dealers and their mechanics don't want to work on a lower unit. If it fails following the repair they may be blamed for not adequately performing the repair. They would rather sell a new part (making more money in the process) and not incur any risk. If the part fails they can blame it on Yamaha.

Disassemble the lower unit. Inspect all of the parts. Replace the defective parts. Reassemble the lower unit. It should be as good as new.

There are several different types of V6 F200's and there are several different types of I4 F200's. Why is it so difficult to simply add a few more letters so that we know exactly what F200 is being discussed? You say you work on cars. If I ask you about fixing a transmission on a Chevrolet Impala is that enough information for you to give me an answer?

I'd say you could be wrong. I would go so far to say that you are wrong. Not enough facts for you to know one way or the other.

Why is it so difficult to simply add a few more letters so that we know exactly what F200 is being discussed? You say you work on cars. If I ask you about fixing a transmission on a Chevrolet Impala is that enough information for you to give me an answer?

I'm sorry, I looked last night and saw no info on lower unit. The motor is still on boat. Im trying to get the info.

Thanks. Got it. Makes sense now. It is as if someone brought you a transmission without telling you what specific automobile it came from.

Had another buddy run by marina after he got off his boat this afternoon.

Pic he sent says following
F200TXRD then 60L, then there is an X and then 1004848

Not sure if this helps. I apologize in advance, this is new to me. Just trying to help my buddy out.

Also have a pic with plug info, gas type, valve lash, power output, etc....not sure it helps in this scenario.

F200TXRD is the model identity. Excellent. I had one once upon a time.

As I stated, disassemble the lower unit and start inspecting for worn or broken parts.

About $3200 for a new one from Yamaha. 69J-45300-23-8D is the latest p/n. A -21-8D or a -22-8D will work.

Less than a grand for an SEI new aftermarket brand. Plenty available used.

F200TXRD is the model identity. Excellent. I had one once upon a time.

As I stated, disassemble the lower unit and start inspecting for worn or broken parts.

About $3200 for a new one from Yamaha. 69J-45300-23-8D is the latest p/n. A -21-8D or a -22-8D will work.

Less than a grand for an SEI new aftermarket brand. Plenty available used.

Bosco, I appreciate your help with this. I'll take it all apart and let you know what I find.

I yanked out propeller housing and propeller shaft. I could be absolutely calling parts the wrong name so feel free to correct me.

On the prop shaft there is a small gear with what looks to be a spring wrapped around the middle. It slides back and forth. Is this the gear that gets pushed by shift rod to go forward and reverse? It slides well and I feel clicks at either end. The gear itself doesnt have any marks or scratches. It looks to be in fine condition.

All the gears looks pretty damn good to be honest. The long shaft from engine has a few chips off a few teeth but everything else looks pretty clean. I also noticed the gear on the propeller housing has a bearing that feels a bit scratchy but it spins pretty well.

Can the spring loaded gear go bad and cause the boat not to engage to forward?

The slide shaft broke. That was the issue. Clutch could move back to reverse but couldnt be pulled forward because it was snapped.

Hes gonna replace the reverse bearing because it is going bad, pinion gear because a few teeth are chipped and slide shaft.

Everything else looked pretty good.

Back