Logo

honda 90 vtec: engine lift blows 10 amp fuse

pauliD

My honda 90 vtec outboard repeatedly blows a 10 amp fuse in the fuse box on the starboard side of the engine resulting in total electrical shutdown. For a while it did not happen every time, but it got worse and now we just leave the engine down. i am looking for a manual but maybe one of you guys has a clue? Thank you for any assistance.

Check the wiring in the throttle handle , you will probably find the insulation damaged and causing a dead short.

Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly makes some sense. i will keep you posted.
Well, this is a little embarrassing; it certainly appears as if I did, in fact, not keep you posted. I apologize. I followed your instructions and found the short in about fifteen minutes. People were impressed! Wanna try again? Same engine, honda 90VTEC, stalling. Started out stalling if you went into reverse too quickly 'cause you're coming in too hot. Now it will stall just decelerating. Any clues?

Thanks, in advance and retrospect!
paul

More than likely a problem with the idle air control valve, if you remove it you will find a fine mesh screen which is probably blocked. use some throttle body cleaner and compressed air to clean it. I am assuming there is no alarm?

Back