Logo

Power trim not working, will trim tabs help?

joerainier

Hello, I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri 19' with Volvo penta AQ125B / 270. This season, the power trim stopped working when the boat is in gear and going. Works good in neutral. Checked both relays, checked the motor and the switch all work fine. But as soon as I put it in gear, the power trim wont go up or down. What i think the problem may be, is the power trim safety switch not working properly. This safety switch is discontinued and i cannot find a replacement. Has anybody had this same issue? I also am wondering if i cant trim the boat properly while moving, will smart trim tabs help? Thanks in advance

That would sort of work but is not a great solution. It definitely sounds like your trim limit switch has failed. You could potentially set your trim at the desired planing attitude while in neutral and let the trim tabs give you stern lift on take off. But, this is not ideal because you won't be able to adjust while running if the conditions dictate it.

I don't know volvo penta systems but are you sure the part is discontinued? Maybe you could find a good used unit at a bone yard or on Ebay?

Agree with Kevin. Trim limit switch is likely culprit. Way back when I owned a Penta, I got most of my parts off e-bay, since new ones were out-of-sight expensive.

Thanks for the replies, will give it another try at finding a trim limit switch and see how it goes. I like the idea of trim tabs, not too expensive and i have seen great reviews

When it comes to trim tabs you have two choices - hydraulic and electric. I've had a set of Lenco electrics on my boat since 2008 and they still work just fine. The Bennett hydraulic trim tabs have a good reputation, but I have no personal experience with them.

Be sure to get the right size for your boat. The trim plates themselves come in many different sizes. Do your research.

Back