Logo

Stumped - 2 New Lower units neither of them pumping water?

Twin Honda BF130 year 2000.

So I am felling a little stupid and stomped.

i ran into some bad luck a couple of weeks ago when I hit an in marked submerged rock wall and damaged both lower units and props.

Insurance covered 2 new lower units.

I received them and installed them and then headed to the lake to test them and neither where pumping water.

so I said ok even though I asked the parts tech if they had water pumps installed and he said yes, but I figured he was wrong.

I took the water pump apart and both had water pumps installed by Honda as the tech said.

so now I am stumped as prior to the accident both engines had a sting tell tail output of water.

i removed the thermostat and put the engine on hose muffs and zero water reaching top of block when running.

thoughts?

If your water intakes are clear then check to see that the water tubes and grommets (items 8, 9 & 15 in the link below) are lined up and in good condition.

It's possible that the tubes were damaged in the collision and even if they weren't, it can be difficult lining them up properly going back together with the gear case to extension case connection.

Hope you get it sorted out.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...hp/bf130ay-lca-2000/water-pump-vertical-shaft

It's a no brainer, but are the replacement shaft lengths are the same as the original length? A thought also comes to mind that maybe the shaft key on the impeller is not placed properly.

So Skooter wins, iBoats confirmed the 2 lower units they sent where 20” not 25.
And since I installed Skeg Guards on them I can not return them.��

I know there are some

Is it it possible to order the longer vertical drive shaft and swap it to convert it from a 20” to 25”?

If not I will need to sell the 2 units on eBay at a loss and order 2 more 25” lower units.

Man what a loss of a summer only 1 fun trip on my world cat, last year I put over 100 hrs on her, which in the north east is a lot for our short seasons.

So I currently have 25” with the extension spacer installed from the factory.

i error was ordering the 20” Lower units so while everything matches up correctly the Drive Shaft is 5” shorter than the 25”.

so I am able to get a used 25” drive shaft in good condition and Inhave rebuilt this model lower unit last year installing all new bearings and seals successfully.

i have placed the 20” lowers on eBay but I am assuming I will loss a good amount on trying to sell the new lowers and then rebuying the 2 25” lowers again.

since I have over 4K invested in the the 20 lowers my thought is the way forward is to replace the 2 drive shafts with used 25” shafts and move on.

If there is a trained Honda tech that can help me understand the challenges I might not be seeing with the plan to swap the Drive Shafts, I would appreciate the insight.

Troy

Why do you need to buy new shafts? Don't you still have the old gear boxes with the shafts still in them? Why wouldn't you use your old shafts? Were they damaged in the collision?

A Honda shop manual may show you the differences between the 25 inch and the 20 inch components?
i would guess you could lose 50% of what you paid for the new 20’s and they may take a while to sell since the 130 HP is not all that common any more. No idea if they would fit other models.

Do you not have someone who can lengthen them for you?There are machine shops that can do it, my guy does it with the shafts in place for 100 bucks

To answer your previous question, you can swap the shafts no problem, the bottom ends are the same, you would just have to recheck the shimming when you refit the new bearings to the longer shafts, but it can be done with no other parts needed.

Back