Logo

Honda BF75 water intake

tgodber

Hello. My name is Tim. New member here. I have a 1980s BF75 Honda 4 stroke outboard. It was my Dad's and was not used for about 8 years.
I recently bought a bigger 14 foot boat so I put it into service again.

The tell-tale was plugged. Got that cleaned out and there is a good stream now. My question is about the water intake and whether there is a screen missing? Is this the water intake shown in the first picture? Is there a screen missing?

Attachments

• Honda7.5.jpg
    Honda7.5.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Boat-a.jpg
    Boat-a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 36
Found the intake right underneath the exhaust. Found the screen intact. All is good.
Have plans to raise the motor 4 inches or so.

Thanks.

honda intake-a.jpg

Racerone is right. The impeller of your pump is old and brittle and is likely in the act of disintegration as we speak. The older the MORE brittle and that means coming to pieces that are small enough to travel up the water tube and enter the cooling system passageways. Those pieces can be very difficult to remove.

Something I know you didn't want to hear, but needed to.
Replacing the pump may seem like a hassle but it is far easier than rowing back to a laiunch ramp and dealing with an outboard that has badly overheated.

These are GREAT outboards if properly taken care of and the shop manual is easy to buy. A new one is around $40 but they can be found used on ebay for much less sometimes.

Good luck

Back