Logo

Nissan NS 25 starts but stalls when put in gear

cflucky

The electric start motor starts fine and runs good with the idle lever up. But as soon as I put the lever down and put the motor in gear it kills. The gas is fresh.

What is the idle RPM? When was the last time the carb was cleaned? Do you religiously run the carb dry at the end of the day?

I do not have a tach so don't know rpm's. carb was cleaned at end of last season. I run the boat often so I don't run the carb dry at end of day.
I use 91 octane fuel and add seafoam to each 6 gal tank so the gas should be good.
A friend suggested I check for leak in fuel hose, says air might be getting into the line. What do you think?

Possible leak. Sounds like a lean idle circuit. What method was used to clean the carb? Did it immediately start doing this all season? How often is often? If you let fuel sit in the carb for a week or two, odds are the varnishing in the low speed circuit is the culprit. Seafoam is just mineral spirits. Waste of $$. A bad o-ring in a fuel hose connector could allow air in. Usually if that's the case, top speed is limited, and idle is OK.

Carb was cleaned by dealer when winterized last fall, not sure of method. It has been running good all season, problem just started. I run the boat every 2-4 days.

Still sounds like a carb issue. Could be a bit o crud in there. Verify all fuel lines and connectors are OK, from the tank strainer all the way to the carb. Those lines between the pump and tank are under vacuum, so a slight leak would not be seen.

Back