Logo

BF8D - accelerator piston stuck in carb

jaziniho

Hi All,

First posting - been following quite a few threads and used a lot of the info and advice to remove and clean up the carb on my Honda BF8.

Having taken it apart and cleaned it up - it seems the accelerator piston is stuck / seized.
Tried carb cleaner and penetrating fluid, but now only seem to have it stuck at the bottom of its travel instead of the top.

Any suggestions on how to free it up?

If I can't get it free, will that whole bottom carb assembly need replacing? (possibly easier just the whole carb at that point??)

Attached is a photo where I've circled the stuck part - note the photo is from before I removed the screw, and piston is now at bottom of travel. Didn't update photo as it's soaking with fluid at the moment.
20190803_134840.jpg
Cheers

Sometimes you can shake it loose by slamming the float chamber down on a piece of wood. Once you get it moving that way you should be able to work it out of there.

Otherwise, yes, you will need another float chamber IF you want the accelerator pump to work.

If you don't want to spend the money, just leave it and try using the carb the way it is. You'll likely find that you won't miss it much.

Good luck.

Back