Logo

2000 E115 Ficht - relay preventing start - please help!

One2mas

I have a 2000 E115 Ficht that have run very nicely with no problems until;

• I replaced a broken starter with a used starter from a 2003 model (same BRP part number)
  • After this change, the motor started at first attempt (always had to crank twice before), and easily on the next approx. 3-4 attempts
  • Then suddenly the motor was completely “dead”, it would not tilt (up or down) nor crank.
  • Found the fuse number 7 (Key Switch, EMM, Accessories) broken and replaced it.
  • Then the motor started easily once. But on the second attempt, it did not. Fuse ok, tilt ok – but again no cranking.
  • Then I started to measure from the key switch and backward - solenoid assy a.o. All seems to be OK until I came to a standard 5 pin relay placed outside the power distribution panel (where most relays are placed together with fuse holders). It is placed close together of what I believe is the main relay - see attached drawing where the relay/connector is marked yellow. As I do not have a wiring diagram, I do not know the function/purpose of this relay, but I believe it has some safety or assistance function? As I do not have any wiring diagram it is quite impossible for me to identify. The relay is marked yellow in the attached drawing i found on net.
  • In to the relay is going a yellow w/red stripe cable (start signal), and from negative (pos 86) there are connected two cables, a gray w/ black striped wire and a darker gray or light brown wire.
  • I measure that there is no earthing/ground from the relay when I try to start. I have tested to connect pos 86 (neg) directly to batt negative – and then the starter crank while turning the key.

Could anyone help me identify this relay (function – wiring and so on)?
Or better, anyone having the wiring diagram for the starter system or even better the complete?
If anyone could give me an idea of what the problem is, that would be the absolute best 😊

You have to excuse my writing here as I am a Norwegian. Really hope somebody can help me out here.

Thomas

Attachments

• Relé.jpg
    Relé.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 97
I have a 2000 225 Ficht with the same problem. If your engine is wired the same as mine (I'm willing to bet it is) that relay is the "start delay relay. I drew out a schematic through my relay to help me diagnose as I could not find this part of the wiring in the shop manual. Here is the diagnosis page from the manual for the 225 Ficht and my hand drawn relay schematic.Start delay relay diag.jpgStart delay relay schematic.jpg I hope this helps. I am going to check continuity on the two wires to my EMM this morning but I am not getting warm fuzzy feelings about my EMM as I also have a Code 26 that was set. Something else to try, is this relay s the same as the relays in the fuse box so you could try swapping it with one of those. Good luck!

I tried my three legged relay jump and the engine did not start. I spoke to Harris at EMM Repair and he told me it is the EMM and that jumping the relay would not work. (he was right). He said 4 day turn around on the EMM also.

I spoke to Eric at Marine Computer Supply this morning, he told me that if my fuel pump runs for ten seconds when the key is first turned to start it's not my EMM causing the no crank condition. I checked continuity through my diodes and found that I do have a bad one. I'm sending my computer out anyway because he said he can probably fix my low idle, which he thinks is due to 1300 hour injectors. He said the low battery voltage is my boat battery but I checked voltage today at the engine and it was 12.77 volts on a battery that has not been charged since the boat went in the water. I do have two batteries, I use the other one for the bilge pump, this is starting only battery.

Back