Logo

2009 150 efi

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
I'm considering buying a 2009 150 EFI Mercury. At this point, all I know is that it has 300 hrs, kept in a shed, used in saltwater (coastal) and is 2 cycle with a separate oil tank.

I am not familiar with Merc's and this specific engine.

I would like input on a few questions:

Is 300 hrs of any concern?

Is this direct fuel injection?

Is this type considered reliable or known for any mechanical issues?

Is there anything I should be looking for or questions to ask the seller?

Thanks for your input.

300 hours while maybe "typical" sounds "low" to me. The motor is 10 years old - that is 30 hours a year average - 4 or 5 days of cruising around during the year would equal that. So the hours sound like it was only used occassionally.

No, it is not direct injected - that is the Optimax line (which you did not mention)

The 150 has always been a solid engine for Merc. The majority of their 150's have significant enough displacement so that there is at least one cubic inch of displacement for every (horse) produced. When you exceed 1 hp per cubic inch there is added stress on the components. The last 2 stroke EFI's were built on a 2500 cc'ish platform (about 153 cubic inches).

My one question is regarding the model year. You note this as a 2 cycle, 2009 model. I could be wrong but I'm thinking that Merc stopped production of most of their 2 stroke models in 2005 in order to meet the EPA/European air quality regs (???). I do know that they continued to produce the 50 and 90 horse 2 stroke "for export" after 2005 - don't remember anything about the 150. So I would double check the model year.

300 hours while maybe "typical" sounds "low" to me. The motor is 10 years old - that is 30 hours a year average - 4 or 5 days of cruising around during the year would equal that. So the hours sound like it was only used occassionally.

No, it is not direct injected - that is the Optimax line (which you did not mention)

The 150 has always been a solid engine for Merc. The majority of their 150's have significant enough displacement so that there is at least one cubic inch of displacement for every (horse) produced. When you exceed 1 hp per cubic inch there is added stress on the components. The last 2 stroke EFI's were built on a 2500 cc'ish platform (about 153 cubic inches).

My one question is regarding the model year. You note this as a 2 cycle, 2009 model. I could be wrong but I'm thinking that Merc stopped production of most of their 2 stroke models in 2005 in order to meet the EPA/European air quality regs (???). I do know that they continued to produce the 50 and 90 horse 2 stroke "for export" after 2005 - don't remember anything about the 150. So I would double check the model year.

Graham, Thanks for your response. I talked to Bass Pro where is was bought and tech verified from serial number it is of 2009 mfg.

Back