Logo

1990 Evinrude 25 stays running with key pushed in

15evie

I have a 1990 Evi 25ELESE that will only stay running with the key pushed(and held) in! Carb is clean! primer solenoid? Fuel pump? the controller is a OMC model! It says push key to activate solenoid primer while turning on! But I have to HOLD IN while key is on to keep motor running!

The primer puts fuel into the engine.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetor.-------So it would suggest that carburetor is plugged.

The fuel mixture is not flowing thru the carburetor!

Give some history on the engine... Been sitting a long time? Someone tinkering with the carburetor? What?? Engine new to you?

If you've owned this engine for some time... when was it run last? Did it run okay then? If so, has anything been done to the engine since then?

Bought used(recently), has sat for 15yrs, New spark plugs, strong spark, checked compression 114-112,pumps water well(when briefly running,I asked seller if ran, he said ran well when used on a pontoon(sold) then sat for 15yrs in garage! I took carburetor off(major ordeal to get off) and cleaned(wasn't really dirty) just kinda sticky(float was sticking), got it clean and adjusted float! Now just runs with key pushed in(held)! Solenoid primer tested measured correct OHM reading between 4-7!

We know the primer works as designed.-----I say the high speed jet found in the BOTTOM of the float bowl is plugged / partially plugged.-------The solenoid primer is a VALVE.----Pushing the key in opens it.----Fuel goes through this valve.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetor.----It appears the carburetor needs more work.

If a carb is in fact still plugged or party plugged turning the manual control on the primer should have the same effect as holding the key in.

If it does not then maybe flyingscott has a point about the keyswitch wiring

I'm voting that the high speed jet was overlooked in the carburetor cleaning detail. Fifteen years of sitting?... that jet hat got to be fouled. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway.

Located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way in back of the drain screw.

Yes high speed jet had some chewing tabacco in there(I removed)! Engine now runs ONLY with red arrow pointed AWAY(red paint) from engine, does not stay running with arrow pointed towards engine! Pumps water good too, new gear case oil too! Just wondering why it's squirting water out sides of exhaust relief cover(red circle) and midsection is hotter than hell(white circle)?5007356.jpg1990-25-hp-evinrude-tiller-handle-elect-start-long-shaft-americanlisted_37513805.jpg

That midsection has another housing within it. Water fills the space between the two so as to cool the outer housing. When it fills to capacity, the excess water spills out the two exhaust relief holes at the top rear portion of that long housing.

Having that housing running HOT!?... Running on a flushette, did you turn the water on full blast? If not, do so.

Having the engine running in a large trash can or whatever..... the water pump sits on top of the lower unit top surface. The water pump IS NOT self priming. The water lever must be about 5" above the top surface of the lower unit to have the water pump submerged.

The proper RED lever setting of the Fuel Primer Solenoid is to have it aimed directly at the other end of the solenoid.

If you need to have the Fuel Primer Solenoid engaged in any manner to have the engine running.... either fuel is not entering the float chamber... OR... the carburetor is still fouled.

Last edited:
Engine runs fine in this position(red arrow) only! I was wondering about high speed fuel jet on bottom of float bowl being too small, I can get top needle(in pic) to fit through and fuel gets through OK, but should I be able to get bottom brad through there(bigger hole)? Seems to me there is some mesh like a plastic sheeve( for correct size hole in there, I can't get small brad(in pic under small needle) to fit through there for what would seem like better fuel flow!

Well the red handle is in the primer wrong if you spun it 180 it would be correct. That hole for the high speed jet is small as it should be. You can remove the jet with a screwdriver. The hole needs to be small it is a fuel restriction if it was to big it would let to much fuel through.

Well the red handle is in the primer wrong if you spun it 180 it would be correct. That hole for the high speed jet is small as it should be. You can remove the jet with a screwdriver. The hole needs to be small it is a fuel restriction if it was to big it would let to much fuel through.

Thank You!

Shoving a pointed needle shaped object through that high speed jet to clean out that "tobacco" you mentioned just doesn't do it... all you're doing is forcing a passage thru the goop, and letting the rest of the fouling junk stay there.

Clean the inside diameter of that high speed jet with a blunt ended piece of single strand wire as stated so as to scrape that junk out of it!

When the engine runs properly with the RED lever of the Fuel Primer Solenoid aimed at the other end of the solenoid, fuel would be flowing thru the carburetor as it is designed to be.

Back