Logo

1973 Mercury 110 problems

Andreasw

Hello!

I have a 1973 Mercury 110 9.8 HP that I have some issues with.

My issues are shifting doesnt work, ive traced the problem to the shift cam, that also controls the kickback for reverse. How do I replace it?

Second issue are with the steering. Its super stiff, it was actually seized when I bought it, but I got it to move eventually. So I will need to do a teardown…
Is there only 6 bolts holding the powerhead from underneath?

I bought this dirt cheap for $20 and would like to get it running again!

Thanks Andreas from Northern Sweden.

The stiff steering can be caused by the "co-pilot" adjustment being too tight. (Look for a bolt under the clamp bracket and loosen it.) If that doesn't fix the problem, heat the pivot area with a torch and keep wiggling it.

On the shifting, the lower unit may be on incorrectly; the top shift shaft and the bottom aren't in the right places. The lower unit will have to come down to fix that.

A cam locks the unit down in reverse. There's a plastic piece that's probably broken and preventing that. If you hold the cowling in place a you gas it in reverse, it will stay down. Jut don't gas it too much!

Jeff

The stiff steering can be caused by the "co-pilot" adjustment being too tight. (Look for a bolt under the clamp bracket and loosen it.) If that doesn't fix the problem, heat the pivot area with a torch and keep wiggling it.

On the shifting, the lower unit may be on incorrectly; the top shift shaft and the bottom aren't in the right places. The lower unit will have to come down to fix that.

A cam locks the unit down in reverse. There's a plastic piece that's probably broken and preventing that. If you hold the cowling in place a you gas it in reverse, it will stay down. Jut don't gas it too much!

Jeff

Thanks for the tip, couldnt find a co-pilot adjustment. I've heaten the pivot area and can move it but its very hard. I didnt have a fitting for putting in grease, but I've added one now. I only miss a grease fitting at the lower part of the pivot :(

I've looked at the plastic piece as I change gear, sometime it doesnt move. So I tried holding it in Place as I changed gear and I could without much effort. So thats why im guessing its broken. Im thinking, maye I can just use a hose to attach the two instead? And just remove that kickback protection from using reverse.

I found the co-pilot adjustment but no difference with it loosened. This is where Im at atm. How the heck do I pull it out? Glide hammer?
mercury.jpg

Best thing you can do is heat the pivot and pump grease in at the same time.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

I've gotten it usable now. Now a new problem emerges! When I have the gear in neutral I can hear a grinding sound from the gearbox, but it gets silent if I put the gear selector a tiny tiny bit forward or backward. Do you know of any adjustment for the gears? I read that I shouldnt have the gear in neutral when mating the lower unit and the middle one. Is this my problem? I got a slack somewhere? It was easy to install LU didnt have to push hard or anything. So I dont Think I missed the mating of the gear selector splines.

Last edited:
The shifting system is slightly out of whack. You might have to live with it. If you were off one spline it would not go into F or R.

Jeff

The shifting system is slightly out of whack. You might have to live with it. If you were off one spline it would not go into F or R.

Jeff

Yeah the Engine is pretty old. Maybe instead of sitting in neutral, Ill just stop it. I can get it in forward and reverse so I Think theres no problem there. I was wondering if I can make some Changes to the gear selector? It sits in some grooves to make it hold the gears. I havent checked the oil in the gearbox either, maybe thats a start too.

I have a 1973 t/bolt 650 and had the same problem. I readjusted the cam several times, the lower unit up and down several times to no avail. Out of frustration, I pulled the lower unit again, shifted into reverse on the lower unit and the control handle and reinstalled the lower unit extra carefully to make sure the shaft for the reverse lock was moving as I tightened the nuts and bolts. It worked perfectly. I shift into forward and reverse just fine and the reverse lock works perfect. I hope this helps

The 110 shifter shafts go together only one way--they use a blind (or orphan) spline to ensure this. Since the coupler is plastic, one can force the connection together in the wrong orientation, which is double bad news since the lower shifter shaft tends to pull out of the LU when separating.

My advise to you is the 'play the cards you're dealt' and live with it.

Seriously.

Jeff

Back