Logo

2016 8 hp Honda too lean

Probably not. Engines don't "like" lean as it raises combustion chamber temperature and can cause detonation and pre ignition. But on an outboard with a working cooling system it's less of an issue at lower rpm.

However, your question creates more questions. If you're getting fuel dilution with a PROPERLY adjusted idle mixture, I doubt that leaning the idle out "too much" will solve your problem.

The 8hp should troll all day, every day at idle and shouldn't "load up" unless you NEVER open it up and clear it. Any outboard will develop carbon deposits if endlessly idled and carbon can cause incomplete combustion. And, incomplete combustion could be a reason for some oil contamination.

But the #1 culprit for fuel getting in the oil is incomplete combustion due to low engine operating temperature due to an inoperable or missing thermostat.

Good luck.

Probably not. Engines don't "like" lean as it raises combustion chamber temperature and can cause detonation and pre ignition. But on an outboard with a working cooling system it's less of an issue at lower rpm.

However, your question creates more questions. If you're getting fuel dilution with a PROPERLY adjusted idle mixture, I doubt that leaning the idle out "too much" will solve your problem.

The 8hp should troll all day, every day at idle and shouldn't "load up" unless you NEVER open it up and clear it. Any outboard will develop carbon deposits if endlessly idled and carbon can cause incomplete combustion. And, incomplete combustion could be a reason for some oil contamination.

But the #1 culprit for fuel getting in the oil is incomplete combustion due to low engine operating temperature due to an inoperable or missing thermostat.

Good luck.

Thanks JGMO, This engine was much worse liquid from exhaust and lots of soot. The dealer I just bought it from said the idle mixture was at 2 turns out, and factory spec was 1 1/2. They adjusted to 1 1/2 and it improved 80%, with no more liquid in exhaust, less in the oil. I'll reduce it 1/4, and check the thermostat. I'll be back on the lake in about a week, and let you know the results. Thanks

Back