Logo

Never gonna buy a 225 hp

eneusiis

Regular Contributor
This post is solely tongue and cheek, but good lord, I am pretty sure this forum has steered my mind to never buy a boat with a Honda 225 on it. Every other post is about that outboard lol.

Eneusiis,

Well, I have the opposite opinion for several reasons.

The BF 225/200 has been sold since 2001, and they are probably the most (or one of the most) purchased big outboards in the world. So, the posts that you are seeing on this forum reflect just how many there are out there.

This Forum is also probably the most used forum for Honda owners. Internet searches on any particular BF 225/200 topic will most often be addressed by multiple posts on this forum.

The big Hondas are also most often used in saltwater, so we see the typical problems any outboard will have operating in saltwater. All of them have their saltwater issues – no exceptions.

Most boat owners don’t adequately maintain these engines, and they tend to lay them up for long periods of time. Both conditions will more often than not lead to operating problems.

My personal experience – I’m approaching 2200 hours on my 2007 BF 225. It has never failed me and continues to run like new. Having said that, I also recognize that there are some design flaws, especially in the early models. But there are no more, and probably less, than with competing brands.

Good post Chawk, I had one commercial customer with a 225 on a 10 tonne barge, operated in saltwater, abused the hell out of it, serviced it every 2 - 300 hrs, oil was always black at oil change, gave him 3600 hrs before it finally died from a sludge build up which eventually blocked the oil pick up screen. Bad motor? I think not. As you said, use them, service them and they will last.

Well, I too will never buy a Honda 225! Because:

A. I can't afford to

B. I can't afford the boat it would match

But, if I had the moola baby......
.....I'd buy me TWO!
TWO boats AND TWO 225's

As long as I've been reading chawk_man's posts about HIS 225...
....he had me sold a while back!

Jeez Jimmy - I thought anything over 100 HP had already been banned in California!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Ha ha!

No, our fearful leaders would never do THAT chawk!

You can hang all the HP on your transom that you want.

It's just that you are required to pay DOUBLE for fuel and you're not allowed to go faster than 5mph!

Yep - I hear that!

89 octane, non-ethanol is running about $3.45/gallon around here. 87 octane E-10 is $2.399/gallon at the local convenience store.

Back