Logo

Crusader 335,7.4 MK IV Oil capacity

srfdude

I have recently been talking to another Silverton owner re his engine oil, and his is a couple years older than mine (mine 89). He says his oil pan holds 7 qts. The dipstick on both of my engines reads full at 4 qts. Could I have wrong dipsticks? What should the pans hold????

Are they original engines or rebuilds?

7qt is the nominal capacity for the cast pan...and will vary a bit, depending upon the installation details...

They are rebuilds, using the stock pans. I'm only able to get 4 qts plus whats in the filter when I change, the suction tube won't go down any further. That is why my oil analysis suck, there is 2-3 qts. left in the sump. I'm using the smallest tube that I have, what do others do to get all the oil out. Obviously there is no room underneath to drop the plug and put a pan under.

maybe try a larger tube on your removal device and go over the dipstick tube.....it should get out more than the little tube, assuming the little tube gets hung up on the angle fitting going into the pan....

Thanks for the input Mako, but the diagram here shows the fitting is going to be above the remaining oil. I'm sure that being the case it won't suck anything but air through the valve cover vents.Oil Pan.jpgI wonder if anyone else does oil analysis on these? I know if it were my car I would be worried.

Last edited:
there will always be some residual on the pan...I'm thinking your tube isn't going all the way thru the tube to the bottom of the cross bored hole in the fitting.

We have had the same setup for decades and never had any issue getting at least 6 qts out....

there have been a few threads on oil analysis....the search function usually helps there. What is the lab saying about your samples?

I wish I got 6 qts ;-) That with the filterAnalysis.jpg is about all, I don't know why I get 4 unless my dipsticks are wrong. Maybe someone could measure the line from the bottom of the dipstick to the full line, it could be that I am not putting enough oil in. My pump tube is stiff, and comes to hard stop when inserting down the tube. Here is the oil analysis; the far right column is after running the oil (Amsoil HD diesel Marine 15-40) for 60 hrs. That is for a total of 200 hrs, and that one was the 4th change. The left col. was the most recent after 15 hrs, much better but still not great.

Attachments

• 2nd_Rt._Engine.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 21
Could be either dipsticks and/or tubes are incorrect....any idea who did the rebuilds? Any BOM provided?

if the tubes are matched to the sticks and the pan, then there is plenty of room for error.

probably best to talk to the same guy that has a similar boat with the older engines or pay him a visit with your tape measure and a notepad

Back