Logo

2008 Evinrude ETEC 225 HO lower unit help

GregFrey

Hi,

Brand new to the forum, hi everyone! I have a 2008 Evinrude E-TEC 225 HO and I hit a rock on the Connecticut River and damaged the prop and skeg (again!). I've already sent out the prop to be fixed. I'm not sure about the lower unit, but it might be damaged. However, my question is about what my options are:

I believe there regular duty and heavy duty lower units. Can anyone here confirm?

Are there multiple options for how much of the lower unit gets replaced?

Does anyone here have experience with rebuilt vs new?

Is the lower unit the same thing as the lower gear case?

Thanks

Greg

You might ask to have this thread moved out to the main J/E forum to get more views and responses.

To my knowledge there are standard and performance gearcases but I don't know about any HD versions. I think OMC used to have a "Commercial" gearcase, but I'm not sure if there is anything like that for your Etec.

Does the lower unit shift okay? Are there vibrations when it's running? The best thing to do is connect a dial indicator to the prop shaft and rotate it to see if it is bent. If it's not you can try it to see if there are any changes to how it runs after that. You might also pressure test the case to make sure there are no cracks.

Back