Logo

Upgrade 4 HP to 6HP

KV Bruce

I have a 4HP Tohatsu that I bought for my inflatable dingy. It starts and runs fine, I just wish it had more power. What steps would I need to get more HP and is it really worth the expense and effort. I bought the unit in 2000 new and it might have 100 hours total time. Thanks in advance.

What is your actual model? If MFS4, buy the carb for an MFS6A2. That will increase your power 50%.

Thanks Paul, after checking the data tag, the engine is a MFS4A-WD. Where is a good place to shop for that carburetor? Would you recommend a propeller change as well? It goes on a 9ft inflatable with a wooden floor. Bruce

I found an aftermarket carb for $10 less than the Tohatsu. Any thoughts regarding the quality? I'm reluctant to get the "knock off"

Tohatsu doesn't make the carbs. Could be the same one. Kehin is the manufacturer. Just be 100% sure it is the right one. And make sure it is the one for the 6A2. You aren't saving much over the Tohatsu product:
3R4032001MCARBURETOR ASSY, MFS/NSF6A2$127.25

Just to jump off the back of this, I am thinking of buying a new 4hp and there is a dealer offering the MFS4C but with the 6hp carb already installed. Would this cause any warranty issues? They offer it with the normal warranty but the dealer is not local and whilst i could easily collect I wouldnt have to keep going backwards and forwards if there were any warranty issues and wouldnt want my local dealer to refuse on the grounds it had been modified/changed?

Back