Logo

1995 130hp evinrude surging and cutting out

_Arch

I bought this engine second hand and at first it would not start and after playing around and cleaning and checking it started all of a sudden so I installed it on the boat and moved it out to my submersible boat trolley.

After taking it out it would start to go mad and surged and picked back up until power loss and eventually cut out and could not start until later.

I figured it was faltering when it had heated up so I took the thermostats out and made replicas to run it cold

After this it would not surge but sometimes it would not start at all and others it would start straight away and I think this is a seperate problem

I presume the problem is in the power pack or coil and I've tested the coil at idle and running good at 180v but haven't tested when engine not working yet
It's a very intimidiant problem
Would anyone know if it could be something other than the coil or power pack

Sounds like a spark issue. Could be the timer base but it needs to be properly diagnosed. CDI Electronics offers a free diagnostics manual on line. Did you check that out?. Also test spark for a good strong 7/16" crackling arc. Be sure to get thermostats back in. You should test first in hot water. They will open around 145 degrees F. if they are good.
Note: Yes, surging is often fuel and in this case we could have multiple issues. The fact that sometimes it won't start at all, leads me to suspect spark as well. Does it seem to be flooding out? Are spark plugs wet? What is the condition of your fuel? Maybe we have water contamination.

Last edited:
The fuel supply is good have already changed the tank and I haven't had the surging problem yet and spark is thick and blue no water in fuel. But when it heats up it surges. But I will check the diagnostics manual, and also i haven't yet tested the power pack and coil due to it not faultering just yet but I'll get back when I get the chance to take it out until it falters.

thanks

Last edited:
So as Racer mentioned surging is normally a fuel issue and in this case it could have been a venting problem to your old tank. This would most often happen after the boat has been run and the suction of fuel begins to create a vacuum on the tank making it more difficult to get the fuel pumped into the carburetors. This then begins a lean condition and the result may be a surging. If the condition continues it may lead to complete starvation and engine shutdown. A red flag of course for this condition would be a squeeze bulb that tends to be collapsed.
The other possibility that we've already explored would be heating of the spark components causing disruption or improper timing of your spark.

Last edited:
Sure gotta be electrical. To check for sure, take out a lower spark plug to see if it's wet. Do that as soon as it stalls and before you attempt a restart. Also note any water on plugs. Just ran into that similar problem on a motor with a lite head gasket leak.

Last edited:
Have you tried pumping the primer ball when that is happening? Is the VRO still connected? Have you tested all the components when they are warm?

I've tried priming whilst it stalls and nothing changes I've disconnected the VRO and I'm going to test the components while warm but it might be a week

I took it out for a spin with the multimeter and it was running good I took it the 3/4 throttle and planening along until the multimeter started to read higher and higher going from 600v to 1200v until the multimeter blew I took it back down to trawling speed and out of the blue it cut out like someone turned it off. After I brought it back on the electric motor I put a new multimeter on it and it was only cranking at about 7v and having a quick spark and not running at all

Back