Logo

140 HP Chrysler Wont Rev Over 2k RPM

mdorn98

Hi All,

I just purchased a 1985 ebco with one of the 140 horse chrysler engines and for some reason it doesn't want to rev beyond 2000 RPM. It'll start up no issues whatsoever and idle at around a thousand RPM but full throttle only yields two thousand rpm (or a sad 12mph). Throttle cable looks to be recently replaced could this be the culprit? I can attach a picture of all the linkage as well if that would be helpful? Took it out today and had a blast just not very quick.

Thank you to everyone in advance I'm new to all this.

Thanks again, Mike

There should be a tag inside the bottom cover, post the model/serial#s
They made a few different models and different ignitions??
Do a compression and a spark test, post the results.
Try running with the cover off, sometimes the exhaust comes back up into the hood and chokes the motor.
Then as someone else drives, try pushing the linkage or throttle forward.
Or unhook the throttle cable link and try moving the throttle by hand.
Sometimes the linkage gets stuck and won't accelerate.
Get a factory manual.The aftermarket, Clymer, Seloc are fair just not as good as the OEM

One hint, the lower unit, has a slotted screw on the side, NEVER remove this or you'll be taking the drive
apart to fix it.
The oil drain is on the bottom.

There should be a tag inside the bottom cover, post the model/serial#s
They made a few different models and different ignitions??
Do a compression and a spark test, post the results.
Try running with the cover off, sometimes the exhaust comes back up into the hood and chokes the motor.
Then as someone else drives, try pushing the linkage or throttle forward.
Or unhook the throttle cable link and try moving the throttle by hand.
Sometimes the linkage gets stuck and won't accelerate.
Get a factory manual.The aftermarket, Clymer, Seloc are fair just not as good as the OEM

One hint, the lower unit, has a slotted screw on the side, NEVER remove this or you'll be taking the drive
apart to fix it.
The oil drain is on the bottom.

Thank you very much for your help I’ll definitely do all those tests and see if it revs by hand. Model number is 1408H4F and Serial Number is 1012.

Thanks again, Mike

Your motor's a 1984.
Let me know if it helps?

Alright went through the motor, compression is good, plugs are new, spark is good so it just seems like a throttle adjustment issue. My new question is I adjusted the throttle cable so now it actuates to full throttle (or close to full throttle) but it seems to have bumped up the idle as well. Is it possible to get more throw out of the throttle to achieve the full range of full throttle while not increasing the rpm at which it idles at? I included some pictures of what I did I adjusted the cable (1) but it appears to have increased the idle (2). The second photo is an issue Im trying to pin down. I know that the design of the highlighted mechanism is to prevent the motor from being over-revved when shifting from neutral to drive or neutral to reverse. However mine seems to catch when throttling down and requires me to jiggle the throttle slightly in order to get it back into neutral.

As always any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, MikeBoat Diagnosis.jpgBoat Diagnosis 2.jpg

Back