Logo

1986 200ETXH Misfire and overheating

Garaleee

Hello all. New on here as I just purchased a boat with two yamaha outboards. Each motor seems to have their own issues and I'm lost trying to figure this one out at the moment and want to pick some brains...

Port side engine "L200ETXH"

Ran compression tests on all cylinders. Each one is in the 115 to 123 range.

Cylinder 6 is dead however. I've swapped coils with known working coils. Installed new NGK B8RES plugs with no change to the cylinder not firing. I have verified good spark. Even swapped without moving the the coils to ensure the ground was good the ignition plug and the trigger wire to cylinder 4 above. Doing ther 4 fires and 6 still remains dead...

6 plug looks oiled after all my testing

Cylinder 6 is the one reading lowest at 115 psi however I do not feel that's low enough to have no change in idle whatsoever.

I've verified all the coils resistance. They're around 2.4 and 2.6k ohms across the board on the secondary coil windings I've followed the cdi electronics troubleshooting page online to check the cdi box. Everything is within spec except for one on the check list

When I ohm the blue starter wire to the black/red starter wire I read 23ohms of resistance, according tho thr website it calls for
65 to 130 ohms.

Could this possibly be the issue. I get I'm 43 ohms short of spec but I'd like to verify before I purchase a 300 dollar cdi

Can anyone verify that the blue stater wire and black/red stator wire are directly linked to cylinder 6. I've also tried to get cylinder 6 to fire any way possible by unplugging the ignition wires and allowing other cylinders to misfire while using cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 sparks ro ignite 6 and have had no change in motor sound. This cylinder is completely dead.. could I possibly have a fuel problem on that side of the carburetor? I've opened the fuel bowl drain and have clean fuel coming out of it. I've tested the fuel for water and its clean as can be.

Starboard side "200ETXH"

I have no water circulation with earmuffs, I have not put this boat in the water yet,

Upon starting the engine with the muffs on I get water to the bottom of the motor. It comes out the telltale with a steady stream however it is not working it's way up the the top of the two heads. I've verified this by removing the thermostats and running the motor with the housings and thermostats removed. I get nothing but steam coming from the ports. I've ran the motor for roughly a minute to see if water would work it's way up to the top of the motor and it is not.

I have removed the lower hose on the plunger valve at the bottom right side of the motor and have no water coming coming out unless I remove the plunger valve (I apologize as I do not know what that plunger is called.) I pulled the lower unit and replaced the water pump impeller and housing, reinstalled and still have no water circulation to the top of the motor. The lower 5 and 6 cylinders remain cool however after a minute the upper 4 cylinders begin to get hot to the touch with 1 and 2 being the hottest.

I'm not sure what to check next or is this and issue because I'm using earmuffs on a garden hose. I'd imagine inhale enough water pressure and volume to feed this motor. Never have had an issue with my other boat running on earmuffs.

Any help is appreciated and I thank everyone in advance for any help

Back