Logo

Mercruiser replacement engine help

MuskellungeMan

I want to replace the 1985 Mercruiser 228 Alpha One engine in my 1985 Cruisers Baron 222. What are my options for replacement engines that
ZdWxn0t
will fit this bolt pattern? I don't care if it is a v6 or v8, I just would like to know all the options I have so I can find the best value engine for my money when i search online. Many thanks!

2198bjb.jpg

20qjtz5.jpg

"Value".... in the eye of the beholder. Often folks mean this as "lowest price". Me... not so much. I tend to look at the likelihood that the seller will stand behind their product. There are a number of folks that make replacement engines, however since GM apparently stopped making their tried and true 5.7s, many replacement engines now use the 100% Mercruiser design, which features higher HP/CID ratings. For me, in a marine environment, I like CID as it take cubic inches to make torque to turn props. In other words,I prefer my HP rating to be at a lower RPM . That said, I'd look at Mercruiser factory remans. They have both Multi Port Fuel injected engines and a 4BBL carbed engine that will bolt up to an alpha drive. For me, that last thing I'd do is have a local talent build one unless I knew that person personally and professionally for a LONG time. Given what your likely investment will be, pay the extra grand(ish) and get it with a full ( block and exhaust manifold) closed (fresh) cooling system, either from the factory or as an add on kit. BTW, the new Mercruiser Dry Joint Elbows have decent life, especially if you fresh water (with Saltaway) flush them several time a season.

Last edited:
its a gm motor, you can put any v6 or v8 in the bilge and it will mount up to the flywheel cover and motor mounts. check out Summit racing, they have good replacement Marine approved engines. no core charge and free shipping. you cna buy extended warranty wich covers labor, not that you weant to use it. if you haD A V8 in it, you do not want to put a v6 though. you may have a problem getting up on plane.

Back