Logo

172574 Evinrude/Johnson Sending Unit Kit, Cant Find , Is There An Alternative?

Na8en101

Regular Contributor
I recently just fixed all the wiring in my boat got the trim tilt working then replaced the fluid in it, Like an idiot I either overfilled or and also didn't let the air our so this part popped and is leaking fluid all over and now once again my tilt trim is not working , any and all advice is appreciated Thank you

Could I just cap this off , Do I need this, what would a person close it off with? Just frustrating spent months working on this boat to take my family out on , and a 30 dollar part that's unavailable Is holding me up

Idk how to delete this but I basically figured it out I just need to go to menards and get a bolt that will fit where the plastic screw was in since I dont even have a trim gauge on my boat I dont need it

Just FYI....The PTT reservoir should be filled to overflowing with the engine in its fully tilted up position, then capped with its reservoir screw-plug before lowering

It is impossible to overfill the reservoir.

The unit is self bleeding... no need to worry about bleeding air out of the unit.

Ok just dont know why the sending unit blew off granted it is plastic and more then likely from 77 but anyways in case anyone ever run into the problem and cant find the part a 1/2 by 20 fine thread is an exact match so I just bought a set screw with loctite

So the 1977 Evinrude PTT is self bleeding? I guess I just dont understand why that part blew off and all the hydraulic fluid drained out , I heard you can use DeX atf for the PTT, and also the PTT is down should I just fill raise fill ?

Plugging it off will be ok...Yes it is self bleeding, just raise engine and fill
reservoir
it runs out, install plug and cycle a few times and refill. Dex ATF is fine to use.

So the 1977 Evinrude PTT is self bleeding? I guess I just dont understand why that part blew off and all the hydraulic fluid drained out , I heard you can use DeX atf for the PTT, and also the PTT is down should I just fill raise fill ?
So I realized it’s been 4 years how’s your plug working out? I now find myself in that same situation now. Did the plug interfere with the travel of the piston? Ken

Back