Logo

Outboards and Prop Walk?

Cat Ballou

The general wisdom and experience is that you do not get any prop walk with an outboard because the prop shaft runs pretty parallel to the surface. The prop shaft angle on shaft driven boats is often 5-15 degrees and with a RH prop gives a substantial kick to port when in astern gear. If an outboard engine is given a little tilt but still under the water it follows that some prop walk should be evident. However the angle of tilt is upwards towards the surface rather than downwards as on shaft driven boats.

Has anyone experience of prop walk with an outboard engine, how to induce it and which direction would it kick the stern when in reverse?

Sorry ---you are wrong.-----On an inboard the prop is under the hull.-------The water coming off the prop act on the hull.-----Look at it think , about it.

Thanks for reply but with respect I have thought about it without any thing obvious jumping out!.
When I tried tilting the boat engine it certainly behaved very differently in astern to normal but that was many years ago and I did not try it often enough to draw firm conclusions. Many "experts" say prop walk is more to do with the prop at an angle to the water surface travelling different distances on the up and down stroke.
See the link
http://www.castlemarine.co.uk/propwalk.pdf

Back