Logo

2006 70hp TLDI cutting out problem, no fault codes!

Andy Cook

Hi, Just joined the forum and hoping for some help / advice with my 70 hp TLDI.
Engine starts fine and runs perfectly.....but twice now, when I have stopped for a little while fishing, then restarted engine it has stalled, been reluctant to start again, then once running again as the boat accelerates the engine starts surging, cutting out and stalls again. This has happened twice, and engine taken about 5 minutes of playing up, before it seems to go back to normal!
To me it seems like a fuel problem but I can't see anything obvious which is wrong, and I don't understand why it seems to work again.
On both occasions, the boat has been sitting in a choppy seas, with the engine going up and down a fair bit, any ideas?
I get no warning lights come on. I had some previous fault codes which I thing was from before I bought the engine, I cleared them after the first time this happened and when the engine plays up i get no codes or warning lights so I'm guessing its not an electrical / ignition problem??
Any advice will be much appreciated!

I would put it in diag mode and see if anything is logged. Then reset TPS initial setting, and retest. I assume you have the Factory service manual to use as a guide in doing this.

I would put it in diag mode and see if anything is logged. Then reset TPS initial setting, and retest. I assume you have the Factory service manual to use as a guide in doing this.

Thank you for your reply pvanv, I did put in diag mode and there is no code logged. I will try what you suggest about TPS. I downloaded a manual and I think it explains how to reset it.
I find it strange that no lights come on and nothing is logged when the engine plays up?
Could the battery create a problem like this and no codes come up?
Thanks very much for your advice

The Factory service manual is copyrighted, so is not available to download. You may have gotten an aftermarket (doorstop) manual. Yes, since you need 1000 CCA for the bigger TLDI motors, a poor battery can cause all sorts of weirdness.

The Factory service manual is copyrighted, so is not available to download. You may have gotten an aftermarket (doorstop) manual. Yes, since you need 1000 CCA for the bigger TLDI motors, a poor battery can cause all sorts of weirdness.

I have removed the battery and although it appears to be ok, it is only 550 CCA. So I will try another, larger capacity battery. The manual I found online appears to show how to reset initial TPS so I will try that too, hopefully the manual shows the correct procedure as I guess its not genuine as you say.
One thing I noticed........and it may have always been this way and I never noticed before.........when I transmit on the VHF radio, the power trim gauge level drops. So if the gauge is reading maximum trim, when I key the microphone it drops to about a quarter on the gauge . I would guess that's a voltage drop? I'm unsure if its always done this and I've never noticed before, but seems to be a bit strange as the VHF radio only draws about 25 watts on transmit.
Weather not looking good for a few days but hopefully will get to try everything by the end of the week. Thanks again for your help!

Yes, you need a bigger battery, and to reset TPS. A fixed-mount VHF is at best 50% efficient, so if transmitting at 25w, you are drawing at least 50w, which is about 4 or 5 amps. If that is causing such a voltage drop, you want to check over the 12v system from the battery on.

Back