Logo

1965 Gale running problems

A

Alex Houle

" I am hoping one of you exper

" I am hoping one of you experienced guys can help me with a BIG problem.
I have a 1965 40hp Gale on a 1979 14' Chrysler "Cadet" runabout. About 3 weeks ago I stopped in the river to take a break and do a little fishing. When I tried to restart my motor it would not start except in gear and full throttle. If I tried to go below 3/4 throttle it dies.I took it to my mechanic and he rebuilt the carb thinking that was the problem. The next weekend I went out again and the problem was still there. Needless to say I did not go very far as it is very dangerous starting in gear and full pin pulling away from the dock. I returned to my mechanic and he cannot figure out what is the matter. He has done both crank seals, head gasket,points,plugs,coils,fuel pump,vacumn cutoff and redone the carb again. The reed valves are fine,excellent compression and the timing is right on. When you crank it over the plugs get wet and there is plenty of spark but it just will not start unless it is full pin and in gear. Absolutly no idle. I would really appreciate any suggestions to help get me back in the water running. "

"Alex..... Have you by any cha

"Alex..... Have you by any chance had the flywheel off and did not torque the nut properly to 105 foot pounds? If so, you have sheared the flywheel key which throws the engine slightly out of time. If this is the case, you will need to carefully clean and restore the tapers on the crankshaft and flywheel, then install the flywheel correctly.

Normally the engine will not run at all when the key shears but it does happen from time to time. If this is not the case, we'll need some further information such as... what is the compression, does the spark jump a 1/4" gap with the s/plugs removed? Anything else you can think of.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Thank you for responding Joe:

Thank you for responding Joe:
We have had the flywheel off and put a new key when we reassembled the flywheel.The compression is in the top range of the spec. and we have a good strong clean spark.When you break down the systems separetely everything works as it should but combined together it still won't start except in full throttle and in gear. I have instructed my mechanic to stop any further work and am so discouraged I beleive I will put the boat in storage until next year and either sell it or scrap it and forget about wanting to spend my leisure time and money in the boating world and find another way to spend my time away from work.

Alex in Montreal

Back