Logo

Grinding noise when drive is turned to the left or right

vlotta

I was doing my preseason maintenance and when I started the boat I heard a loud grinding noise. I happened to notice that when I turned the prop to the center it went away. Only makes the noise when the drive is turned to the left or right. Any suggestions where to start? I read some posts that talked about Gimbal Bearing. Can this be replaced without pulling the drive off?

Thanks in advance for any help

Motor is a 5.7 GI-E
Transom is TSK SX-M
Drive DP-SM 1.95(M22)

I was doing my preseason maintenance and when I started the Engine I heard a loud grinding noise. I happened to notice that when I turned the prop to the center it went away. Only makes the noise when the drive is turned to the left or right. Any suggestions where to start? I read some posts that talked about Gimbal Bearing.
It could be either the gimbal bearing or the universal drive shaft bearing crosses, or both.
Either of these are routine replacement items.

Can this be replaced without pulling the drive off?
NO!

Thanks in advance for any help

Motor is a 5.7 GI-E
Transom is TSK SX-M
Drive DP-SM 1.95(M22)

Thank you for the info Rick. Is there a way to diagnose the issue to determine which one it is or do I need to pull the drive and physically inspect the bearings?

Thank you for the info Rick.
you are welcome.

Is there a way to diagnose the issue to determine which one it is or do I need to pull the drive and physically inspect the bearings?

Like said, these are routine maintenance items. If you pull the drive off, you may as well replace the gimbal bearing, the bearing crosses (what some call U-joints), drive shaft bellows, etc. If you defer the maintenance, you will pay dearly later on.
Likewise with your seawater pump impeller.

Ok last question. I just like to have all my ducks in a row before pulling the drive. I read on another thread that the DP-SM drive shaft is a non serviceable drive and I would have to buy the whole drive shaft and crosses (u joint) as one piece. Is this correct? I have a repair manual and my book has directions on replacing the bearing crosses. I am what you would call a home mechanic (3 years of auto shop in high school). I do all my own work on my cars and this is my first boat and I try to make sure I do all the right things, I pull the risers every other year, and replace the impeller along with repacking my trailer wheel bearings every year I never knew about pulling the drive and doing maintenance on the gimble bearing. Thanks for the info I will add this to my list of off season maintenance.

Ok last question. I just like to have all my ducks in a row before pulling the drive. I read on another thread that the DP-SM drive shaft is a non serviceable drive
They are referring to the bearing crosses as being non-serviceable. In other words, there are no grease zerks in them.
Since these undergo "point loading", and there is no coast side ware, there is no real reason to grease them..... the point loading cannot be compensated for by greasing them.

and I would have to buy the whole drive shaft and crosses (u joint) as one piece. Is this correct?
Not so!

I have a repair manual and my book has directions on replacing the bearing crosses. I am what you would call a home mechanic (3 years of auto shop in high school). I do all my own work on my cars and this is my first boat and I try to make sure I do all the right things, I pull the risers every other year, and replace the impeller along with repacking my trailer wheel bearings every year I never knew about pulling the drive and doing maintenance on the gimble bearing. Thanks for the info I will add this to my list of off season maintenance.

If your trailer is equipped with EZ Lube, SureLube or SuperLube spindles (lube fitting at outer end of spindle.... NOT bearing buddies), you must spin the wheel as you pump the new grease in.

After reading several post on this website I see you are very knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you for that it really helps those of us that have mechanical abilities but just need some guidance. With that said I assume Volvo doesn't make their Gimble Bearing or Crosses so would you have a recommendation of a quality after market version. I cant find anyone that stocks them locally and they are having trouble cross referencing them to after market. Believe it or not in San Diego we don't have a lot of boat parts stores that stock product for smaller boats.

Thank you in advance.

Back