Logo

1965 9.5 evinrude twist grip issue.

Insanec420

Hello ,

I recently picked up 1965 9.5 evinrude . When I got it it was in pretty rough shape, no spark , carb was all gummed up, basically lost and forgotten. I've put new coils , points, condensers, cleaned carb etc. My issue is that in neutral I can't advance the throttle to start because the stop blocks me. It goes as far as shift and I basically got to put it in forward to start it and flip it back to neutral once I get it running. It's running fine no issues there. I know there's an adjustment bolt for the shifter I've tried messing with it but couldn't get it any better . Any help or info would be much appreciated. Maybe that's just the way they were ?

Thanks

I've attached a photo of the stop I'm talking about

https://m.imgur.com/a/w63R5Q9

Ok well if it looks normal. I just thought in neutral you could advanced the twist grip to start as it will only go to the shift on the twist grip handle

There is an adjustment for that. I don't currently have one of those motors but I have run into the same issue where the throttle could not move enough to start the engine. I suspect someone has turned it too far. I will take a look at a parts breakdown and see if I can explain better.

There should be a wheel just forward of the fuel line connector on the tiller handle. It is likely turned too far. I don't know if this feature was on the 65 model.

The "wheel" was an idle speed adjustment. Pretty sure it wasn't on the '65 anyway. But there is a rack and pinion gear arrangement where the tiller meets the rod that moves horizontally when you turn the twist grip. If the wording on the dial is way off. I suggest the rack and pinion gears are not properly aligned. Makes no difference, the motor should start with the shift in neutral and the throttle advanced as far as it will go (in neutral), even if you took the tiller completely off the motor. Something else is wrong if it won't start at that setting.

It does start at the shift setting easier when its warm. It just seemed weird that the twist grip barely moves in neutral . I have a 1973 9.5 and you can advance it all the way to fast it neutral.

Back