Logo

Default Oil tank does not auto fill. Mode

Model 115TLRY. 1999 or 2000?
    6E5 L 407378

Manual switch will fill engine tank. Replaced engine tank float switch and pump controller. Need help. Engine runs fine. Low oil alarm will sound but I have to take cowl off ad fill manually

Default Re: Oil tank does not auto fill. Mode

Alarm triggers when reservior is low and when main tank is low. If both filled, motor and sensor is functional, then it's conductivity. Test the harness ground first, as the ground is usually the issue w/saltwater outboards.

The alarm will sound only when the main engine mounted oil tank is low. The remote tank could be low or it could be full.

For the automatic transfer system to work the CDI must be receiving a ground from the remote oil tank sensor. As noted, the wire harness from the motor to the remote tank can have poor conductivity. Either from the block to the sensor, the sensor itself could have failed, or from the sensor to the CDI.

[QUOTE=boscoe;654348]The alarm will sound only when the main engine mounted oil tank is low. The remote tank could be low or it could be full.

For the automatic transfer system to work the CDI must be receiving a ground from the remote oil tank sensor. As noted, the wire harness from the motor to the remote tank can have poor conductivity. Either from the block to the sensor, the sensor itself could have failed, or from the sensor to the CDI.[/QUOTE

Thank you
    i will check into this but help me understand. If the manual switch works donít I have a good ground? There are four wires to the remote tank under the seat. Two for level sensor and two for pump.

Yes, there are four wires in the harness to the remote oil tank. One pair for the electric oil pump ground. The other pair for the sensor switch ground.

The ground for the pump is apparently good since you say that when you apply that ground the pump runs. What is unknown is if the other ground for the sensor switch is reaching the CDI.

The sensor switch is there to prevent the remote tank from running completely out of oil without the user knowing it. With sufficient oil in the tank the switch will be closed. Ground applied to the CDI. CDI will command automatic transfer of oil. Up until the point that the float switch drops to a low oil level. The switch then opens. No more ground to the CDI. Auto transfer function is terminated. When the main tank gets low (because no more auto transfer of oil) the alarm sounds. Assume there is no spare oil in the boat. The user can now force the pump to run pumping what oil remains in the remote tank to the main tank. He best start heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
    Yes, there are four wires in the harness to the remote oil tank. One pair for the electric oil pump ground. The other pair for the sensor switch ground.

The ground for the pump is apparently good since you say that when you apply that ground the pump runs. What is unknown is if the other ground for the sensor switch is reaching the CDI.

The sensor switch is there to prevent the remote tank from running completely out of oil without the user knowing it. With sufficient oil in the tank the switch will be closed. Ground applied to the CDI. CDI will command automatic transfer of oil. Up until the point that the float switch drops to a low oil level. The switch then opens. No more ground to the CDI. Auto transfer function is terminated. When the main tank gets low (because no more auto transfer of oil) the alarm sounds. Assume there is no spare oil in the boat. The user can now force the pump to run pumping what oil remains in the remote tank to the main tank. He best start heading for home.
    Ok thank you I understand now. So if I disconnect the four pin connector at the remote tank on the boat Not the engine tank. Two of the wires should have continuity to ground, correct? One for pump and one for level switch

Yes, two of the four wires will have a ground. But one only if the toggle switch is pressed.

But having a ground to the switch is not enough. The ground has to be able to make its way all the way back to the motor. The circuit has to be completed.

Follow the diagram in your service manual.

I have a 2005 250 txrd and having the same problem. Both sensors check ok with a meter the motor runs with the e/switch and on the bench. I checked continuity from the motor to the remote tank. Have a negative on all the black wires involved. I have a service manual. What am I missing?