Logo

1985 70 evinrude

Seanfish

In this case I believe the model to be irrelevant. If it is necessary, let me know.

Friday ran up the river about 15 miles, towed a jet ski back to their boat after he rolled it over and filled the thing with water, hung out at a local spot for a bit and then ran back to the trailer. No issue at all.

Good news from previous post is the tach got wired in, everything works well. I'm WAY overpropped and can only hit about 42-4300 rpm but cant read my prop stamping currently. Or the gauge is still being broken in. (It was very sticky initially, I assume from sitting without use for so long). Once I'm confident the gauge is correct, I'll mess with props to get that dialed in but I have a more pressing problem at the moment.

Saturday, ran 22miles offshore, no issues at all whatsoever. Out there, I refilled my tank with one can (brought 2 5 gal cans as I am not fully sure of my fuel burn yet). I like to empty them as soon as possible when I have them on board as I do not like to carry fuel outside of my tank. I made it about 3 more miles and died like it was starved for fuel. There is no water in the fuel as that was the first thing I checked, although the motor is acting like it is fuel starved and I can barely get it to fire. Got towed back in. (Thanks Seatow)

The obvious is the fuel system. It is brand new E10, fuel lines were all previously updated inside the engine for E10, and I redid the one from tank to motor, so everything is E10 rated in theory. The fuel pump may not be, I'm not sure when the last time that was rebuilt was.

Fuel/water separator is not yet installed (although it will be very very shortly)

Am I thinking in the proper course of action >>

Drain carb bowls, hook up a 1gal can of new rec 90 premix and see if I can get it to run. If it's somehow water or just crappy fuel, and my pump is working, this should solve that in theory. If that solves it, non-ethanol fuel all the way from this point forward. I might've just got spoiled by my previous suzuki DT40 that would burn through nearly anything.

Next logical thing would be fuel pump diaphragm has ruptured. This engine sat for nearly 3 years prior to me purchasing the boat. I dont like my motors sitting and bought it to run it.

Anything else to check that I'm missing?

Kill switch was a thought, but that wont even allow the engine to fire, correct?

There is a awitch in the control box.----If shift lever is NOT in nuetral the starter will not crank the motor.-----There is a " kill switch " that must be in the run position to get spark to the plugs.

It will fire, which eliminates that. That was one of my first thoughts and I opened control box to check condition of wiring. Wiring in there is probably the cleanest on the boat.

Will crank and fire and sputter for 20 seconds max before stalling out. That has me leaning towards bad fuel/water in fuel even if it was just a little bit, or fuel pump from sitting for years, followed by running hard. Also found out the neutral safety switch works by accident. Was in gear at idle when I turned off motor once and didn’t realize it. Wouldn’t restart until I paid more attention and shifted back to neutral. That was at 10miles out (we have a minimum of 15milea to fishing grounds).

carbs have been drained and refilled with fresh fuel (same e10, haven’t actually gotten new fuel yet)

The idles are progressively getting slightly longer or it’s a figment if my imagination. Had one go nearly 30 seconds and thought I had it.

Plugs are brand new, ~6 hours old.
Will not start at all unless fast idle lever is at least halfway up.

Sorry this is almost real time and I’m trying to provide as much info as possible.

I really hate when brand new fuel is bad.

was able to get a few gallons of non ethanol, drained the carbs from current fuel and pumped in non ethanol mix.

3 starts and fails, but the last one really tried to get going, so I helped the fourth one along slightly pumping the ball and got her going. She’s putting nicely now.

my idle seems a bit high however on the muffs at ~1100rpm. Not sure if that’s just from a lack of back pressure since it’s not in the water, but I remember it being about the same in the water too. Please advise. I’d like to get this one running exactly how it should be and then I’m going to re-prop it for peak performance.

Back