Logo

Tilt/Trim making me pull my hair out, PLEASE HELP.

Na8en101

Regular Contributor
I have a 1977 evinrude 85 hp , when I first brought it home a couple months ago, I pushed the tilt up it went up, after that no matter what I do I cannot make it go up . It is a three wire ,and this is what I have done so far, i have replaced the solenoid twice , I bought a brand new tilt trim motor , have replaced the switch , bought a whole new wire harness to go to the switch to the solenoid , and have followed every wire diagram I have found , including just switching wires around just to see if anything would work, now when I have it all hooked up the way it us supposed to be I can get it to go down, but not up. Only way I can get it to go up is by directly touching the battery with the blue green wires from the tilt trim motor, any and all advice would be appreciated, I'm losing my mind over this, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have never ran into something I couldn't figure out until now.

Use a volt meter to check the output to the blue and green wires with the trim switch activated. also check that there is a solid earth on the trim motor earth wire. Does the relay (solenoid) click when you try to go up? Is there a solid earth on the solenoid? Most likely scenario is a bad earth to the solenoid. Slightly strange, but simple system.

Last edited:
Back