Logo

Tamd41a (or b)

Torfridur

Hello,

I got 2 x tamd41 a or b, they soot ALOT, not much black smoke.
Its more like condence and when that gets on the boat it leaves soot.
Oil is changed, air filter changed, coolers cleaned and crankbreather filter are also changed.

It runs fine, its just the soot i want to get away.

Any ideas?

The reason i say a or b is because the aftercooler has metal pipes like a and its marked b.

Thanks!

Too much soot is too little air with the fuel. Anything that restricts air flow in or out of the engine is where to look. Besides what you've done, is there enough air coming into the engine space? Many people restrict their air intakes to quiet the diesel noise. Also check the turbo bearings, if they're dragging, less air is pushed in. And the exhaust elbow. If that gets clogged with rust it creates back pressure. Oil getting past the rings burns as fuel and can appear as soot. A warmed engine is more efficient and make less soot. If you're running engines often at the dock you'll get more soot. At low rpms soot can build in the exhaust system and gets blown out when you go to higher revs. Old fuel doesn't burn well and will appear sooty. Lastly, older diesels always produce minor amounts of soot. A couple of other things you can do, run #1 diesel or add a catalyst that makes the fuel burn hotter and cleaner. I use Archoil 6200 every time I fuel. Besides a biocide, it stabilizes the fuel if sitting for long periods, helps a good primary filter remove water and gives me about 6% better mileage with Detroit Diesels.

Attachments

• AR6200614_compressed.pdf
    392.9 KB · Views: 40
Looks like an inline blower, but is it actually wired to power, is it even blowing the right way, and with the crushed pipe in pic 2 it probably isn't doing anything anyway. Where exactly on the transom or rear of the boat does that go to? Picture from outside maybe?
It could be a standard fitting for sucking fumes out of the bilge before startup if that model came with a gas engine option. In that case it shouldn't really affect your current issues. What size are the other air intakes?

It was an bilge vent blower, after running the engines ideling for some time i see oil in the exhaust water, is oil also turning into soot if its burning oil?

The air filters are already starting to get black again, would it be the turbo leaking oil? Read something about blow by on tamd41a could that be the problem?

Could be an exhaust leak or blowby if the blowby is recirculated via the air filter on that engine. Blowby will be only while exhaust leak is usually a bit dryer.

Back