Logo

Trim tab

Welddog2

I have a 1999 Johnson 115 that is new to me this year. When I put my boat in the water for the first time I noticed it wanting to go hard right at all speeds. So when I got it home I adjusted the trim tab to the halfway point. Retested in the water. A little better. Got home and adjusted it all the way until it couldn't go any further. A little better yet. What are your thoughts on why it is still wanting to turn to the right, without any adjustment left on the trim tab?

The trim tab is to be adjusted in the direction of the pulling action... if the boat pulls to starboard, move the trim tab towards starboard.

If this is what you've done... and the boat still pulls to one side, the engine is mounted off center or the boat has a hook in it in such a manner that "it" is acting as a trim tab.

One of the most common phone calls we got when I worked for a steering mfr. Sad truth is I have no real answer. Except get no-feedback steering.

That sucks. A friend has a fish and ski with a 150. This motor has boken it's 3rd trim tab. He said he just fights it any more. I hope you get it figured out. Good luck.

Back