Logo

Towed in first day out. Trying to get new to me boat out.

mblydude

back side shot.1.jpgport side shot.1.jpgstarbord side shot.1.jpgpre oil pump line.1.jpgpost oil pump line.1.jpgFirst time boat owner, and first time posting here. It is a 95 Mariner 90HP 2-stroke on a 24-foot pontoon for family and friend cruising. Engine appears to have been well maintained. Battery was dead when I went to check it out to buy it, and they spent about 20 minutes gathering the things to fire the boat up, so I figure it was an honest cold start. She fired up pretty quickly, about the 3rd try and ran smooth for about 10-15 minutes.

Since I had to put a new battery in it, and clean up the electrical, I went ahead and set up a dual battery system with a 1-2-B-O switch, ran new wiring, and installed it all on a Sea Sense fuse panel. Once I got that all done, all my electrical worked properly (lights, gauges, radio, livewell fill, etc.). Put the muffs on it and fired it up, and she ran smooth for about 4-5 minutes, idled it up a bit during that time too, and it all sounded great.

A buddy and I took it out so I could work out any kinks prior to taking the family out on it. Nailed the launch, with no "that guy" moments, so it was a good start. I idled the boat around the dock waiting for my buddy for about 5 minutes, got him and we are on our way. Cruised for about 8-10 minutes at about 1/4 throttle, just getting a feel for it. Gave it some more for a few minutes, slowed down a bit, made some wide turns etc. just feeling the boat out. I was ready to open it up and we went WOT for about a minute or two, just so I could get a feel for that too. In total we were out about 20-30 minutes, and as soon as we pulled up to a cove to park and hang out, the moment I throttled it back down, it started to sputter and died a few seconds later.

We were in a cove so I dropped anchor and we let it sit for about 30-45 minutes and tried to start it again, same thing. Motor turns, but would not catch and fire up. Occasionally it would give like one or two heavy chugs like it was going to, but just didnt. Primer bulb got hard when we primed it. Tried starting with choke, with some more idle, while priming...nothing got it to catch. Took the cowl off to look for any pinched or kinked hoses. Plugs all look good and snapped in tight. Checked linkages with throttle and they all appear to be working. I could see there was oil in the oil feed line to the pump, but the line coming out of the pump to the "T" with the fuel line was not FULL with oil. (picture a horseshoe, with oil at the two ends, but none in the middle). I know we were running with oil because there was slightly less oil in the reservoir than when we started the day. But as soon as I dropped the throttle down for no wake, it sputtered and died.

New float sensor was put in when it was taken out of winterization. Water coming from impeller outlet in steady stream the whole time on the water and when trying to start it. Compression checks around 110 for all three cylinders, though it was on a cold engine since I cant get it to start to warm up.

First timer but not afraid to learn to do things the right way. Hoping for some help in this forum to help me go about getting this thing ready to hit the water with peace of mind.

Last edited:
Checked spark? Oil line not your problem...
Havent checked the spark yet. Tester is on the way, should be here tomorrow. I did pull the plugs and didn't see anything that to me looked out of the ordinary. Little bit of black on the ends , but not covered in carbon buildup or anything.

Checked spark? Oil line not your problem...

Just checked plugs with inline tester (Lisle 20610).

Had a light on all three plugs, but still didn't start. I didn't honestly TRY to start it though, I just had my helper turning the key long enough for me to see the light firing up.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

First compression tester was a dud, didn't feel like the hose really connected tight into the gauge and I didnt want to trust the numbers. Took it back, got a different one (actually held the number on the gauge). All three were 118 or 119 (just a shade under 120).

Here's where I am so far. Started up day 1. Ran fine including idle at first. Ran for 20-30 minutes at various speeds. As soon as throttled back to enter no-wake zone it sputtered and died. Would not fire back up.
1-Single warning beep when I turn the key (monitor system is working).
2-Linkages are good. (throttle and reverse throttle all move freely and are attached as they should.)
3-Primer bulb gets hard and is sending fuel to carbs (opened bleed screw and pumped bulb a few times to verify that.)
4-All three spark plugs tested good with an inline tester (the light came on but still didnt start the motor, so I think ignition system is all good.)
5-Compression checks right at 118or 119 on all three cylinders.
6-when I bought the boat it had less than a quarter tank of gas in it. Not wanting to trust that entirely, I filled up with ethanol free gas. I guess it could be bad gas, but I went to this spot in particular because many people have told me they had the right stuff for boats.

My gut is telling me the oil pump assembly is my next check? To get to that I have to take off the air cover and the carbs. I figured at that point it wouldn't hurt to clean the carbs? (since they will be off anyways and no motor is ever hurt by a carb cleaning)

Does this sound like i'm on the right track here, or am I missing something obvious? (and much easier/cheaper)

A a squirt bottle of fuel mix(50/1) and squirt in the air cover...if it hits fuel or carbs the problem. You need a open air tester for spark as must jump a 3/8 gap minimum. Neon testersare not to be trusted.

A a squirt bottle of fuel mix(50/1) and squirt in the air cover...if it hits fuel or carbs the problem. You need a open air tester for spark as must jump a 3/8 gap minimum. Neon testersare not to be trusted.

Thanks faztbullet. I'll give it a try. I appreciate any feedback I can get from folks more familiar with this stuff.

Got a can of 50:1 pre-mix and a spray bottle. Helper turned the key while I sprayed into the air cover. Still no catching and firing.

Used an open gap tester for the coil and the spark was firing well over the recommended 7/16". Actually tried it close to a full inch and there was steady, blue spark across the gap on all three cylinders.
Tried new spark plugs, still not starting.

Running out of ideas. Anyone on here have any other ideas?

Back