Logo

Cracking sound from 40hp etec

Songman73

Hey guys.. brand new to the forum. I just bought a 2008 Lund with a 40hp etec outboard... Both in immaculate condition. Motor has 170 hours on it and I have the maintenance records to prove it. Owner took me to a lake to try the boat... Flawless.

I take the boat home and 2 days later run it. By accident I started the motor while it was tilted up out of the water. Ran for maybe 10 seconds before I noticed. Shut it down, lowered it in the water and drove it. Ran strong and quiet... Exactly like it did a few days earlier. However, I am hearing a cracking noise intermittently from the back of the boat. Seems like the motor but I can't figure it out. It sounds like if you broke a stick in half. It's not constant. Happens on and off after sat 3000rpms. Any idea what it could be? Runs the same, oil is full, sounds the same, smooth idle, water coming out of the back... Just can't figure it out.

I just hope starting it out the water didn't mess anything up. I also trim the motor after it gets on plane to run better.... He never touched that. He always left the motor most of the way down and never touched it while driving. He used this motor gently. Even the prop looked new... But was original. Any ideas???? Thanks.

Have no clue. But the water pump is what got damaged by running it out of the water----IF anythiing got damaged. Since it apparently is still working, it's pretty safe to say it is ok. Anyhoo, water pumps don't make noise.

Have no clue. But the water pump is what got damaged by running it out of the water----IF anythiing got damaged. Since it apparently is still working, it's pretty safe to say it is ok. Anyhoo, water pumps don't make noise.

I know the water pump doesn't make a noise. I wonder if it might be the power tilt. Last owner never trimmed the motor while on plane but I do. Still I don't believe that should matter

I am not there to look.-----Perhaps these motors are so silent that you can hear the water hitting the water.-------Just another wild guess on my part !!

Back