Logo

Tilt/Trim making me pull my hair out, PLEASE HELP.

Na8en101

Regular Contributor
I have a 1977 evinrude 85 hp , when I first brought it home a couple months ago, I pushed the tilt up it went up, after that no matter what I do I cannot make it go up . It is a three wire ,and this is what I have done so far, i have replaced the solenoid twice , I bought a brand new tilt trim motor , have replaced the switch , bought a whole new wire harness to go to the switch to the solenoid , and have followed every wire diagram I have found , including just switching wires around just to see if anything would work, now when I have it all hooked up the way it us supposed to be I can get it to go down, but not up. Only way I can get it to go up is by directly touching the battery with the blue green wires from the tilt trim motor, any and all advice would be appreciated, I'm losing my mind over this, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have never ran into something I couldn't figure out until now.

That's the proper wiring diagram for the three (3) wire electric motor PTT setup.

In the "up mode", the red wire of the PTT Sw is connected to the blue wire that leads to one of the small terminals of the solenoid that travels thru the solenoid and out thru the black wire to a ground connection. That energizes the solenoid's plunger that connects the large red solenoid terminal to the large blue terminal of the solenoid that leads to the electric motor.

If you have everything connected as shown... the engine should tilt up.

Yea, this why I'm having such a headache, I dont understand it, I'm hoping someone has something to put in that would be another source of a problem, like the ground I just have to the negative of the battery is that wrong? When wired the switch also get hot to the touch, does the battery matter it says it is a marine/rv battery

Last edited:
When something wired gets unusually hot.... it is either wired improperly (shorted) OR there's a loose connection somewhere that is causing a high improper current draw.... something on the order of say running a length of 18ga wire to an electric start and expecting the starter to function... That 18ga wire will get hot enough to melt quite rapidly.

You appear to be doing something wrong but without one of us actually being there, we're pretty much left hanging.

Ok I will try again after work tomorrow, and I am running 14 gauge wire I am probably wiring it wrong and just keep missing what I am doing wrong , I am pretty sure I am wiring it correctly , but obviously I'm not i think I am running into problems when it comes to the solenoid what wire goes where

P-TILTWIRING.jpg

So I looked at this and figured out to wire it to the solenoid then to the battery for both positive and negative I have no idea what I was thinking or how I was wiring it , thank you for making me think, and confirming the diagram was right, now I just have to put more fluid in and bleed the air out because it goes up slow

You mentioned earlier (in not so many words) that you jumped the battery directly to the PTT and the engine tilted up. If back then the engine tilted up normally... and now, with the PTT switch and proper wiring, it goes up slowly... that indicates that you are using wires too small a gauge to the electric motor.

It has been sitting in the tilt up for a while and every time I would try the switch it forced it to go down in its lowest position I am pretty. Sure that when I changed the fluids I overfilled and or did not bleed the air about because I had fluid spray out somewhere on the opposite side of the ptt, so it went up slow before and then I add fluid and it works well again but I was adding while the ptt was down and not up and never got the air out , again thankyou for everything, and if something I am doing with the refilling fluid is wrong please let me know again thankyou and I appreciate it

Back