Logo

Couple ?s on 8HP kicker engines

TheBrain

Regular Contributor

1.Do manual start kicker engines have alternators?

2.I believe the manual start engines don’t have alternators but do have magnetos so there isn’t any option to recharge 12V DC batterys correct.

I’ve have a 1994 evinrude 2 stroke 15HP and a 1998 evinrude 25HP both where electric start rarely ever used the rope wrapped around the flywheel but found both where quite difficult to be pulling on and I’m very strong.

3.how hard is it to pull on a rope to start the 9.9HP 4 stroke engine?

I’m starting to think I’d prefer a none tiller kicker in favor of a binacale controls like this
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/suzuki-9.9-hp-outboard-motor-model-df9.9btl2-354672.html
this Suzuki is just an example but at 120LBs is to heavey.

4.must the kicker be on the port side to not interfere w/ transducers that have to be on the starboard side? It would be much easier for rigging to have the kicker on the starboard side.
5. I think I can get away w/ a 6HP but haven’t sean any w/ electric start
whats the smallest HP kicker to have an electric start.

My original plan was to use a tiller kicker then add the option of connecting w/ rod to main engines steering then use a electric controller for speed.
Any tips is appreciated TB

1.Do manual start kicker engines have alternators?

2.I believe the manual start engines don’t have alternators but do have magnetos so there isn’t any option to recharge 12V DC batterys correct.

Not Necessarily... I have a 1987 Honda 4 stroke 7.5 Manual start and it has a connector on STBD for battery charging.

I’ve have a 1994 evinrude 2 stroke 15HP and a 1998 evinrude 25HP both where electric start rarely ever used the rope wrapped around the flywheel but found both where quite difficult to be pulling on and I’m very strong.

3.how hard is it to pull on a rope to start the 9.9HP 4 stroke engine?

If the engine has "compression release" not all that hard. Short answer... moderately hard.

I’m starting to think I’d prefer a none tiller kicker in favor of a binacale controls like this
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/suzuki-9.9-hp-outboard-motor-model-df9.9btl2-354672.html
this Suzuki is just an example but at 120LBs is to heavey.

4.must the kicker be on the port side to not interfere w/ transducers that have to be on the starboard side? It would be much easier for rigging to have the kicker on the starboard side.
Depending on beam of boat and O/B motor bracket, you may get away with it on STBD

5. I think I can get away w/ a 6HP but haven’t sean any w/ electric start
whats the smallest HP kicker to have an electric start.

Honda has an 8hp 4 stroke electric start

My original plan was to use a tiller kicker then add the option of connecting w/ rod to main engines steering then use a electric controller for speed.
Any tips is appreciated TB

Some information on your boat would have been helpful. Not aware of an electric controller for a gas outboard. For electric trolling motors, yes.

Last edited:
I like the Honda engines and have found out the 8HP weights the
same 105LBs as the 9.9HP.

yes I have read about the compression release on the 4strokes on a percentage how much easier pulling on it compared to a 15HP evinrude 2 stroke?

Yes I have read about the late 80ies Honda 7.5HP pull start w/ option to charge batteries
Was that engine made from factory w/ charge wire or was it a kit?

The 7.5 would be stronge enough for my vessel 22’ beam 75” hull/engine weight loaded 2550LBs main engine 175HP Johnson setback 20”. did the 7.5 come w/ electric start?

I haven’t 100% decided but my throttle will be controlled at helm electronically w/ a control king.

The new Yamahas 8LBrope pull start is 83LBs not sure how much more weight electric start adds.I also like the idea of a second binicale for kicker but prefer electric cuise control.would also extend the tiller to be able to sit on rear bench.

My Johnson is a great engine powerful/reliable/noise and drinks fuel, w/ a little kicker no wake zones and trolling is main uses of kicker.

Future plans included a rollcage for my main Johnson w/ addition of a kicker I’ll need to start planning right away. See tuffboat at marines docks sandbars you don’t want folks bumping into engines.

I’m most of all anxious to backing up into a slip w/strong currents pointing a kicker seams easier to dock.
Almost finished w/ my new dive platform kicker mount need engine before proceeding
To final stage of platform. See alf almore

Ideally I'd like a GPS guided Ipilot for the kicker not sure if it's available for small engines?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDSHeFhKFA

Attachments

• aft_almar.jpg
    aft_almar.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 41724c80ded6b99522b73d6d356d8bb0.jpg
    41724c80ded6b99522b73d6d356d8bb0.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 6-motormount.jpg
    6-motormount.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_0058P.jpg
    100_0058P.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 99
  • done1.jpg
    done1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I believe the older Mercury 6 HP model is available with electric start.------And battery charging kits are available for many small manual start motors.

late 80ies is as about as old as I'd like for a engine. here's image of tuffboats roll cage

Attachments

• DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 100
I decided to get a 2017 mercury 9.9 none tiller it has a small binecal trim ignition 25" shaft.

so I'm looking into garlic type mounts for star side. still could build the final stage of my diveplatform motor mount for a port side mount. I'm leaning to the starside w/ a proper elevating mount.

the transum is 45" according to image #4 which is the exact same hull as mine a 25" shaft will be very high when stowed.

Images
1.vessel w/ tiller kicker on correct side.
2.same side as transducers kicker maybe the mount has enough setback to not interfere w/ the transducer?
3.what my dive platform (last image awaiting it’s last stage) engine mount.
4.exact same hull as mine w/ a 20” shaft on garlic mount.

Last edited:
Back