Logo

Beware some carb gaskets.

RoyBrew

I rebuilt the carbs last may when I overhauled my 88hp Evinrude.. First time out it ran great. Next time out not as well. Every time after my motor ran worse. I first did a compression check then a spark gap test of each cylinder, where as I sweating bullets because I was afraid I missed something when I overhauled the engine. I had my suspicions it was a carb issue, but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion right away. I thought I was getting a good deal on my carb kits, so I thought. The rubber float bowl gasket swelled so that it was keeping the bowl flooded along with the engine. I am curious why this gasket swelled? Isn't it impervious to gasoline?

81LzNsgSvfL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

71ms0DWT3lL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

See all customer images

[h=3]Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews[/h]
Top ReviewsMost recent
Top Reviews

Jason M. DeVries

1.0 out of 5 starsDO NOT USE! Gasket for bowl is not made from the proper type of rubber
May 28, 2019Verified Purchase
The gasket for the bowl is made from a rubber that expands, loses it shape and becomes as loose as a very soft rubber band when exposed to the fuel (installed in a 2-stroke, 4-cylinder Evinrude 88HP outboard). Happened with the gasket in both kits ordered (dual carb setup). The reddish colored one is the one from this kit, the darker one is a genuine Evinrude OEM part, which doesn't expand and loosen up. The gasket ended up expanding so much that it was pushing against the float and preventing it from closing the needle-valve. Engine would start flooding and gas would pour out from the carb after 30-40 seconds of run-time.

81G3Yj1+t6L._SY88.jpg
81LzNsgSvfL._SY88.jpg

One person found this helpful
Helpful
Comment Report abuse

Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 starsPLEASE READ, Defective materials.
April 8, 2019Verified Purchase
Bought this product in November 2018 to rebuild my carburetors on my outboard. April 2019 had to rebuild them again. The gasket material is not gasoline impervious, they shrank and then tore apart. Making gasoline and oil leak continuously down the engine. This kit could cause a serious fire. I know a refund on three kits will not be possible at this, but I will let others know this product is severely dangerous.

Helpful
Comment Report abuse

Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat
November 10, 2018Verified Purchase
Great

Helpful
Comment Report abuse

jimmy brown

1.0 out of 5 starsThese are junk!!!!!

Years ago they said-------" the bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten "------But we live in an age where CONVENIENCE is king.---Click a button and have the stuff in your hands in 36 hrs is appealing to many folks.

I don't know what to say. I thought I was smarter than this. I purchased the original OEM parts yesterday.

You all have been a big help on here. Thank you

Back