Logo

1998 200Hp EFI Fuel Pump

Brad F

Ok, just boat a boat 20' Procraft Bass Boat with 1998 200 EFI on it. Took it out and it seemed like it was low on power in launch. I brought it home, checked to make sure I had spark to all six and checked fuel pressure with key on. 40psi. Returned to lake with fuel pressure gauge and launched a few times well then started falling on face and then acted like ran out of fuel completely. O psi fuel pressure

Fuel pump appears shot. But the guy I bought it from said that the fuel pump had been wired directly to a keyed terminal due to some module going out. His mechanic told him that was a common fix instead of replacing the $500 module, something about a high limit bypass. So pump has basically 12 volts any time the key is on.

Question is is this really a common fix, or did running the fuel pump direct to 12 volt cause the fuel pump to fail? Does the voltage to the pump modulate when wired as it originally was? Wiring change was done 8 months ago. Or is this wiring ok and just coincidence that pump went out ?

Back