Logo

Why would fuel injectors constantly run (Click) and a fuel pump constantly run?

beeze455

Why would fuel injectors constantly run and a fuel pump constantly run? These are honda 130 engines. One is fine the other is not. Swapped a few parts and will play again tomorrow. Any hints from mechanics out there?

I see that no one has responded. I know nothing about the 130, but since you have two, it seems the best idea would by to swap ecu's (or whatever that engine uses for controlling the injectors) and see if the issue follows the ECU. If so, you know where the problem is.

If the problem remains then you likely have a grounding problem in your wiring.

It is normal for the injectors to click every few seconds it depends how many rpm,s you have the CMP sensor triggers off the opening and closing of the injectors the fuel pump has a constant 12v to it it has to run all the time to keep the pressure constant.

I'm like chawk_man in that I don't know the 130. But in my experience with efi, I don't think the injectors should fire or the pump should run constantly.koeo (key on, engine off)

If it's doing this while cranking, then THAT may be normal. You didn't explain the scenario fully enough for us to know.

Since you say one outboard is fine, the other is not, says you have an issue and I'm only guessing it's doing this koeo. And, in that case, I agree with swapping ecu's

BUT...smell them before plugging them in! They should both smell the same! If the suspect one smells acrid or smokey, you shouldn't plug the "good one" in to the suspect's harness until you've eliminated the possibility that the harness or a sensor could have failed (shorted out) the ecu.

Good luck.

AS matter of interest iam keen to keep on learning can someone explain please what i understand is that when you turn the key on the fuel pump runs till it builds up the pressure then it stops does the map sensor switch it back on when the absolute manifold pressure starts dropping as the throttle body butterfly starts opening because is it not the map sensors job to measure changes in manifold pressure my question is what switches the pump back on as the pressure drops .

I can only explain what I am familiar with....automotive efi.

Newer systems use a pressure switch or pressure transducer in the fuel rail connected to a dedicated fuel pump control module to Pulse Width Modulate the fuel pump motor to maintain consistent fuel rail pressure.

But what I THINK we're talking about here is a much simpler system as was first used in older systems going back to the late 80's to mid 90's.

Those systems simply had the pump run for a specific time....say 2 to 4 seconds at key on to pre-charge the fuel rail. If no rpm signal was received, the ecu would open the contacts of the pump relay.

Then, when the ecu received an rpm signal from the crankshaft sensor, it would close the fuel pump relay and allow the pump to run until the rpm signal was lost at key off.

Pressure was controlled via a vacuum vs. spring modulated regulator valve.

The MAP was only used for sending atmospheric and engine load information to the ecu.

That's my story anyway.

P.S. got me to thinking: BEEZE455.....the MAIN RELAY ASSEMBLY (item 12 in link below) may be what's keeping the fuel pump running with the engine not turning. Unplugging it might give you a clue.

Here's hoping all this speculation is of some help

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/130hp/bf130a4-lca-2004/starter-cable

Good luck.

Last edited:
jomo i think you may have solved his pump problem that main relay plays a big part in the operation of the pump if its not opening and closing the pump will stay on all the time

Tegwini,
Not confident about that because it doesn't explain the injectors firing. It may actually be the controller after all but it's something he can take a look at. Wish I had more experience with these but I've only worked on the twins.
I hope he does get it sorted out and lets us know what he finds.

Interesting question, Tegweni. Got my curiosity going, so I did some searches in the Helm Shop manual. If you have that, look at pages 2-21, 5-10, 5-59, 18-4 and 18-5. From what I can make out, the PGM-FI main relay controls the HP fuel pump and turns it on and off based on how the ECM is reading the two TDC sensors and the CKP sensor.

Back