Logo

Merc 500 50hp 2 stroke

nostalewk

Got a new starter today it works good but found another problem with carb so I got a carb kit changed out the bits and peices and still motor turns over but wont even try start it's like it's not getting fuel to fire and my spark plugs are only 1week old also I'm using 50:1 gas oil ratio

Well sparkplugs do not " make the spark "-----So see if there is good spark voltage generated by the coils.----Serial # ??

Ok I will tomorrow when I can see and the serial number is 1675174 I hope that's the one because that's only number I see on the boat and and what do the coils look like

That would be a 1964 model.-----It has 1 coil inside the belt driven magneto.-----Split the magneto and remove the bottom assembly.----Clean and set the points at 0.010".-----Careful with the plastic parts as they are somewhat pricy !-----Test for spark before installing it again.

I feel really stupid what does the magneto look like I have a small silver wheel looking that that the belt goes and and then the big fly wheel looking thing that the starter engages which one is the mageto if it's the big wheel it's going to be about I week before I can get it off as I dont have a socket that big

Back