Logo

'77 Evinrude 15HP Leaks Like a Sieve

Totalnewb

Hey everyone,

As my username suggests, I don't know what the heck I'm doing...not yet anyway.

I recently purchased a '77 Evinrude 15HP (Model 15754M) from Craigslist. I took it home, threw it in a tote with some water and discovered it has some issues. I'm confident that I can fix many concerns with recently-purchased parts from this site, but I'm puzzled about one thing. There's water pouring from the junction between the exhaust housing and the swivel bracket (part names taken from diagrams). Picture attached to show water.

So...is this normal? Or at least acceptable? Any idea what's going wrong, if anything? If it helps, I'm pretty certain the thermostat needs to be replaced (water coming out of exhaust at bottom of powerhead upon initial start); I'm both excited about and dreading this process.

Thanks in advance!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Evinrude.jpg
    Evinrude.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 75
That is normal as is the water coming out under the powerhead. My 1977 15 hp has water coming out of the 2 holes under the powerhead. It goes away at bout 1/2 throttle.No need to be concerned. You should also have the water higher in the tub. At least above the waterpump.

Last edited:
What do you mean by higher than the water pump. I am also new, and running a motor in a trash can. I've been wondering how much water I should have in there. I have the water level definitely above the intake holes.

The water must be about 6" above the pump.-----These pumps are not self priming.----And the exhaust air does not help with pumping either !

Back