Logo

Evinrude 1969 skitwin model 33902A throttle position

newyota

Regular Contributor
Finally got this motor ready to start and I did get it started for a second, but I have an issue I guess i should of realized before putting it back together to start.I am unable to turn throttle control to start position in neutral.The cam roller stops on the timing marks for the cam.The shift lock hits the shift lock stop which of course is mounted to the armature plate by a 1/16th.I don't think it should do that?If I put motor in reverse the throttle knob will rotate right to the start position and it is stopped by the shift lock stop which seems normal to limit rpms in reverse.I can only think that the screw for a retainer on the underside of the stop and armature had to be removed to put new plug wires on and I did not realize it was critical to have it pushed in towards the center of armature for clearance if there is more movement or the the shift lock position is not right.Don't think I can loosen that screw with out pulling flywheel again.Too much of an angle.Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but just in case---
The roller is not supposed to start to contact the cam when aligned with the mark.
There is an upward-pointing pointer on the intake manifold, to the left of the carb. The roller should just barely be ready to be cammed open when the cam mark is aligned with the POINTER (not aligned with the roller).

Thanks..The main issue is with the shifter hitting the shift lock prematurely..I think the shifter lever may have got bent slightly in transport when it was brought to me without the cowling on and or the shift lock plate is not positioned correctly on the armature plate which seems unlikely since it does not have slotted holes for the screws, but I will verify this.I will look at what you mentioned concerning cam roller timing when I iron out the shift lock issue.

I don't think it is possible for the shifter lock to limit the throttle prematurely. If you are looking at the slow-start-fast words on the twist grip, they never are right on. Correct starting position is motor in neutral and throttle as far toware "Fast" as it will go----no matter what the decal says. If it is grossly off, I would be looking at the throttle shaft's gears alignment.

I don't think it is possible for the shifter lock to limit the throttle prematurely. If you are looking at the slow-start-fast words on the twist grip, they never are right on. Correct starting position is motor in neutral and throttle as far toware "Fast" as it will go----no matter what the decal says. If it is grossly off, I would be looking at the throttle shaft's gears alignment.
Thanks again..All feed back is useful. If you would look at the shift lock piece mounted to the underside of the armature plate in parts book you may get and idea what is happening.I think the throttle in neutral should move to the same position as it does in reverse which is limited.I will post what I find hopefully tonight.Thanks

fdrgator----- is correct again , as is usual.-----Find out what the real problem is on this wonderfully simple 33 HP motor.

Not true. It should allow more throttle in reverse than neutral.
I did not know that..That was a response I needed.I had no way of knowing it would have more throttle in reverse.Maybe the gears for the shift linkage is off.I had put great on them the other day, but had no reason to suspect they were off.Just maybe they are off a tooth.So what your saying the shift lock should be hitting the shift lever well before where it does than in reverse?I had nothing to compare it to and my old second party service manual does not show anything related to this.thanks

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but just in case---
The roller is not supposed to start to contact the cam when aligned with the mark.
There is an upward-pointing pointer on the intake manifold, to the left of the carb. The roller should just barely be ready to be cammed open when the cam mark is aligned with the POINTER (not aligned with the roller).
I don't see a pointer.You sure where talking about the same motor?

40hp cam pointer.JPG

I've only worked on a few thousand of those motors, and I know dad-gum well the pointer is there.

Last edited:
View attachment 21130

I've only worked on a few thousand of those motors, and I know dad-gum well the pointer is there.
Thanks for the picture.I see why there is some confusion.The picture you provided is for a 1965?or older.Mine is a 1969.Mine has two marks on the cam not one.I looked at the parts diagrams to figure out why we were not on the same page with this.Also,I believe you stated the pointer is left of the carb.Looks like it is to the right of the carb,but to the left of the roller.Is the adjustment the same for the two timing mark cams.My aftermarket book does not show this.thanks

Last edited:
OK, I'll concede that it is to the right of the carb, but left of the roller. I wrote left of the carb because that is how I pictured it in my mind's eye. I don't know why you say the picture is for an older model. It came from a 1971 manual. Nevertheless, they used that basic system for about 20 years and the pointer stayed the same throughout. I can't explain the two marks. I guess I'm getting too old to argue about it.

OK, I'll concede that it is to the right of the carb, but left of the roller. I wrote left of the carb because that is how I pictured it in my mind's eye. I don't know why you say the picture is for an older model. It came from a 1971 manual. Nevertheless, they used that basic system for about 20 years and the pointer stayed the same throughout. I can't explain the two marks. I guess I'm getting too old to argue about it.
Thanks...I will have to look into the set up with the setting for the two marks on cam..Assumed it was the same for this as the newer motors withe the two marks..

Ok have my cam roller set as you show in picture. Now the question of where my shift linkage hits the stop in neutral when trying to start with throttle maxed.

Last edited:
View attachment 21130

Ok.Thought I would address this again since I got my Evinrude service manual also for a 1969 and it has the same photo. The photo was not updated it seems since like I had mentioned my armature plate has two lines and a hole to the left of the two marks.Not sure why no update to book for adjustment?I just lined the pointer in the middle basically of the two lines.Would like to know what the significance of hole is if any.

Back