Logo

How to identify if it is a VP Vortec engine?

scirocco

I have 2 x VP 5.0 GI, 1998 in my boat. I am about to order longblock replacements and then I need to find out if it is Vortec engines I have,
Seems like the Vortec has been in production since 1995/1996 so I believe mine are but how to find out for sure?

if the bolts that hold the valve covers on are in the center, instead of around the edges is 1 indication,
if thetiming cover is plastic is 2, if it has an eletic fuel pump and no place for a mechanical is 3
see if the spark plugs are short thread (ac delco MR43t) or long thread (ac delco MR 43lts). long thread ore vortec heads.
if your engine has all of these, its a vortec.

Center bolt valve covers do not necessarily indicate that the engine would be a Vortec.

The Vortec cylinder heads eliminate the exhaust cross-over runners.
The intake manifold bolt arrangement is unique to the Vortec cylinder heads in that they have eliminated the two center bolts.
For the SBC V-8 Vortec, the intake manifold will use only 8 bolts, as apposed to 12 bolts on the previous Non-Vortec cylinder heads.

I have 2 x VP 5.0 GI, 1998 in my boat. I am about to order longblock replacements and then I need to find out if it is Vortec engines I have,
Seems like the Vortec has been in production since 1995/1996 so I believe mine are but how to find out for sure?

No one ever complains about having too much torque/horse power, especially in a twin engine boat.

The long blocks from GM, or from most any other supplier, will be fitted with the silly, ineffective, non-marine style GM Full Dished pistons.
You can do much better if you have these custom built using a Quench Style piston profile.
Also, you can do a 5.7L SBC build for about the same cost as for the 5.0L SBC.

Take a few minutes and read this thread beginning at post #7.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?394668-V6-to-V8-engine-swap

Last edited:
Back