Logo

Need help! 15hp 2006 electric start, high idle rpm

MwrEngineRepair

So to start, I acquired 2 15hp engines that were having issues but for now I would like to just work out one at a time. The issue with #1 is that when I start the engine it goes straight to high speed and sounds like it 0-100 right out of the gate. I have to half choke and Theodore down to slowest speed to now have it jump off the stand. I have adjusted the Theodore screw down as far as I can go before the engine hogs out and dies( still at high rpms). I have changed the fuel, the tank and bulb, filter, pump cleaned the carb with cleaner and used wire to get the passageways, replaced the igniter relay, both engine modules, added fuel stabilizer to the 10% E gas, replaced spark plugs, adjusted the air mixture screw. I don’t know what Else I am missing. I believe I tore it down and replaced everything. I need assistance or a way forward.

Make sure the knob on the front is turned all the way to the left and pushed in. Make sure the carb butterfly is closed all the way.

Which ignition do you have? Is it the one that the timer base moves with the throttle? Or is it the one that attaches the timer base to the block and doesn't move?

Which ignition do you have? Is it the one that the timer base moves with the throttle? Or is it the one that attaches the timer base to the block and doesn't move?

Nothing moves when I push the start switch, it goes straight to the starter relay and kill switch, the throttle it cables that connects to the carb

Does the magneto under the flywheel when the throttle is turned? Have you looked at the black knob in front of the motor? Is it pulling on the carb linkage at all?

Does the magneto under the flywheel when the throttle is turned? Have you looked at the black knob in front of the motor? Is it pulling on the carb linkage at all?

Yes there’s a stationary magnet under the flywheel, and the black knob(choke) is attached to the carb and I use it to bring the engine speed down a bit. Not enough

I have been reading a lot trying to find any solution to the problem I think I’m going to search for a vacuum leak, I am also putting a second engine together and hopefully it runs fine. I will let y’all know if I find any issues. If anyone has any more suggestions that would help. FYI I am still a novice on these engines so detailed explanations help a lot

Back