Logo

2004 130hp Honda fuel problem

Rjcamel2355

Contributing Member
Hey folks I have a 04 Honda 4 stroke that's having some issues with fuel. Can run around on the lake a bit then it starts cutting out, can pump the bulb and itll pick back up. I was looking at the motor and on the front lower part there is a hose fitting that is missing a hose, looks like it connects to the fuel pump. I am assuming it's a vacuum line, could that possibly be my issue? Also have a small leak at the fitting where the fuel line connects to the motor. I'm in the process of fixing that.

The fuel leak will be a problem, no vacuum line on the fuel pump,only a drain hose.When dod you last replace the high pressure filter?

Just picked the boat up its sat for a few years it seems, took it out and had the fuel issue so I'm trying to correct that now. The drain runs from the fuel pump into the front of the block? Compression is good 125ish on all the cylinders.

From what I can tell there is a fuel pump bolted to the back of the motor, a vst tank on the side of the motor, and what appears to be another (high pressure?) Pump canister on the side right near the vst.

You have the old original fuel system which Honda replaced as a campaign way back, yours was obviously not done.The black canister is a high pressure fuel filter part number
16010-ST5-933 if you need to replace it.The issue you're having will probably be fixed by sorting out you fuel leak.

Right, That's what I have (I guess I didn't describe the canister- aka fuel pump- correctly). Thats the picture of the motor I currently have.

Just tried to run it. In neutral you can rev it up all day. Itll idle just fine. If I put it into gear and rev it up or try to run it for 2 minutes or so it does fine and then it starts surging and cutting out. I can pump the bulb and itll straighten out. I took the cowl off and watched the filters and none of them run dry or get low..... maybe something to do with the high pressure pump not being able to keep up? Tach doesnt work so I have no idea on the rpms

Fairly certain it's the pump on the back of the motor. I can crank the motor and even start it with the hose disconnected from the exit side of the pump and it never squirts fuel.

Is there a rebuild kit or just replace it?, I know there's tamper screws on it

Firstly,running on hose is no way to test any motor, it should be done for flushing only.The fuel pump is only available as an assembly, remove it and try actuating it manually, first with holding your finger on the inlet and see if it holds a vacuum and then on the out let to see if it builds up pressure. There may be a fuel restricting between the primer bulb and the pump, so check before throwing money at a new pump.

Test was done in the water, I just put it on the hose to start it so I could see if the pump on the back was functioning.

However I went home and tested it per your instructions. I tried turning it manually while holding my finger over it..... no vacuum, and no pressure built up at all. I then started the motor (On the hose, briefly) held my finger over the inlet, and the outlet, and neither produced any vacuum or pressure. I don't believe there was any restriction, as I could pump the primer bulb and fuel would shoot out of the outlet on the fuel pump.... seemed like a pretty straight passthrough.

From what i gather, I would pump the bulb and it would fill the VST....... once I got going across the water, it would drain the VST and the motor would die...... pump the bulb back up and off I could go again. Fuel pump was ordered and sent overnight, I should have a successful test today sometime (on the water).

Solved! Someone had the valve cover off at some point. The fuel pump lifter was completely turned around not even touching the cam. Flipped it around and it runs like new.

Back