This model has belt driven distributor that
advances when you throttle up......

There is a belt timing mark on the flywheel
but confused on the distributor.I set #1 to the
rotor at top dead center.Was able to get a pop now
and then but get fustraded........

Need help (PLEASE) "

You need to line up two timin

You need to line up two timing marks on the flywheel / block and two timing marks on the distributor.

" Hi J; You might want to go b

" Hi J; You might want to go back and reset your points first 0.010 if there old \ 0.012 if new, and go from there. "

"J.McBride..... OMC did not ma

"J.McBride..... OMC did not manufactuer a 80hp model in 1968. The last belt driven distributor type 80hp was manufactured in 1967.

The points on that model should be set at .020 (The .010 is for the electronic ignition models that have the points located under the flywheel).

The flywheel has a timing mark on it, as does the top rear portion of the block (slightly to port). Line those marks up. Now, look at the distributor pulley, you'll see a timing mark, usually in red between the ribs, and there will be a raised timing line on the distributor housing. Line those marks up, then install the belt. That will time the engine perfectly.

Forget about trying to set the rotor etc as you might in an automobile, that's not the way to do this.

List the model number of your engine and we'll tell you exactly what engine you have.

Joe
"

" I have found the timing mark

" I have found the timing marks on the block they were easy to locate.the distributor is the confusing one. I was able to locate a little
cut out,sorta like a punch hole on the bottom
of the belt pulley.But the mark on the block is confusing.It has a long casting line little port of center and the far port has two marks relating
to point breaks.I will get the model # tonite

Thank You "

"J.McBride..... The punch hole

"J.McBride..... The punch hole (sort of) that you mention is the timing mark on the pulley. If you look closely at the indented tooth associated with that mark, you'll notice that there is a scribed mark running the vertical length of the tooth. The associated mark that you would line that pulley up with is on the distributor housing itself, not the block.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

"Joe
Got the timing figured o

"Joe
Got the timing figured out(sorta)
Stopped by a marine shop .This old dude
just so happened to have the original service manual for it (67 80hp evinrude model 80793)
But get this .I go home to time it and the timing instruction make sense but when i align the flywheel with the distributor it doesn't exactly
line up with the notch,the belt only always adjustment per one belt tooth and the aignment falls in between the teeth.
But either way it should be close enough to fire correct ?
But when i install the cap the coil fires but nothing from the plugs .I inspected the cap and rotor but see nothing that would prevent the spark from going to the plugs..
Should i break down and buy tune-up kit Cap@rotor which from the sound of it will run around a $100.00
Tired of putting money in a old engine !!!!!!!!!

Thank You"

"J.McBride..... The timing not

"J.McBride..... The timing notches should line up perfectly. Perhaps you do not have the marks of the flywheel etc lined up straight, but that can wait as the belt may be stretched somewhat.

If you have spark at the coil output but nothing at the spark plug wires, in all probability, the rotor has a small crack in th base of it that is allowing the spark to short out to the rotor supporting shaft. Install a new rotor, then recheck the spark.

NOTE... Depending on whether a magneto or automotive type ignition is used, there are two different rotors. The magneto rotor (580260) end has a hook like appearance to it, and the automotive type ignition rotor (580338) has a normal squared off end. They do not interchange! Either one would cost no more than $15.00. If you have a problem locating either, I have both in stock.

Joe
"

" Joe
Thank you for all your

" Joe
Thank you for all your input
The rotor got it running.
Should i change the belt ?
Can that model be upgraded to electronic ignition
and if so,can you get it?

Thanks for all your help !!!!!!!!!!!!

(No longer the need to sink it ! (LOLOLOL) "

"J.McBride.... Whether that se

"J.McBride.... Whether that setup can be changed to electronic ignition is a unknown to me. However, that change over (if possible) would run a few hundred dollars. Frankly, the regular automotive ignition setup that your engine presently has works fine, is easy to trouble shoot, and the parts are more reasonably priced.

The belt? Tough question as I don't really know if it's stretched or not. I have seen them break at times, but that was usually due to being installed too tight. It would be a good idea to have a spare, possibly install the new one and keep the old one for a spare. If you decide to go that route and have a problem finding one, let me know and I'll check my remaining stock.

Hint.... Use Champion J4C J6C spark plugs, set at .030. The J6C is a slightly hotter plug and less likely to foul.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back