Logo

2006 3.0 Mercruiser issues

deepg15

Hey guys,

I just purchased a '07 175br yesterday. The Mercruiser 3.0 would start and then die after 10-15 seconds when the seller showed it to me. I ordered a new fuel filter and spark plugs and installed them today, the motor started up and idled great (I left it running on the hose for a couple hours trying to burn off the old fuel in the tank). I am experiencing a few issues though:

1. When I give it some gas in neutral, maybe around 1/3 throttle, the engine runs for a few seconds then bogs down and almost stalls out, then runs very rough when I dial back the throttle and just idle. Once I turn it off and back on again it it idles fine. Could this be an anti-siphon valve issue? If so, where is that valve located and is it easy to replace?

2. The tachometer isn't accurate at all... When idling it shows 4200rpm. I know for a fact the motor is not running that fast, it sounds completely normal while idling. I looked on the back of the tach and the dial has the following settings: 2p/4c, 3p/6c, 4p/8c, 5p, 6p. Mine is set to 5P, is this correct? How many pulses/poles do these motors have?

I'm hoping to sort out these issues before taking her out on the water for the first time. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Had two boats last year did the same thing. I got a carb rebuilt kit and pulled the carb off and did a clean and rebuilt. Super easy. Both friends said boats ran great all year with no issues. Like $60 for rebuilt kit.

Back