Logo

BF50D Trolling Speed Issues

Buffalo Wingman

I have a new to me 18’ pontoon boat with a 2017 BF50D on it. The boat plan is to spend 50% of the time fishing and 50% cruising. I love this motor but for 2 things, it has like a hair-trigger throttle and I can’t access the rpm range 850-1250 (according to the dash tach). It will run at 850 and 1250 all day long but not in between where my trolling speed is. It seems not humanly possible to move the throttle just enough to move to say 1000 rpm. The tiniest movement results in a jump to 1250 rpm. The few times it has run around 1000 rpms it will sputter and drop to 850 in seconds. I have tried new plugs and injector cleaner with no change. The control is a top mount 06240-ZW5-U40.
I found that Honda has a trolling speed control switch which is supposed to increase or decrease the rpms by 50 with each push in this rpm range. This seems like the solution to my lack of access to this range. I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience to mine and found that this switch cured the problem, or can share any information on this switch (35345-zz3-741). Thank you.

I missed your thread, you may have solved your problem by now. The switch you are referring to is a troll control which increases your rpm in small increments between 750 and 1250 rpm.

Buffalo Wingman could you please share where you connecting the troll control on your BF50D. I have mine installed in the boat but i cannot figure out where it connect as the wiring colors are not matching.

Back