Logo

Motor won’t throttle up.

gtfalanga

I have a 1994 Yamaha 200 2 stroke. On land the motor idles fine. Wines right up to 6000 rpms no problem. In the water won’t go over 1900 rpms. Idle speed in the water is fine. Just like it won’t take fuel. All filters are new. Carbs was rebuilt last year. I’m guessing aftermarket carb kits. Got back to the house and found the spark plugs really wet. All but one. And fuel inside in bottom of cowl that ran down the mid section and eat alittle paint off.
Never had this problem before. Do I need to have the carbs redone again or is it something else
When I drop the boat at the marine mechanic one carb was locked up so he got a used one and rebuilt all three carbs. First time out it did that big thing then cleared out. Next time out run fine. This time no luck.
Any advice please

Rev'ing motor in neutral has zero diagnostic value and is highly uncalled for. Not sure what "locked up" implies....clogged jets? If so, why was replacement carb required? Assuming carbs/jets were cleaned thoroughly and floats set to speck by mechanic, I'd trace back the fuel issue that caused the carbs to go bad....old fuel? Fuel pump?

If plugs were wet after mechanic pulled/installed carbs then im guessing he did not time/sync carbs. Wet plugs indicate a rich mix, so the idle mix needs adjusting after time/sync. Frankly I'd take it back to mechanic who did the work and tell him to finish the job.

Back