Logo

Battery Connection Question

Chris Rohde

Regular Contributor
Not necessarily a VP question, but you guys have been my guides for years, so I trust your input.

I have a 2 battery system. Just had both replaced. The battery cables on my boat all have the small ring for the smaller terminal. However they were connected to a larger connector that went to the main battery post. My question is, can i run all of those directly to the smaller posts, and remove the connector to the larger post from the equation? Or is the smaller post on the battery considered just for accessories, and not big enough to crank through?

Screenshot (192).jpgScreenshot (193).jpg

The only concern I would have with just using the threaded posts is having adequate terminations on the ends of the high current wires....

Worked for 14 seasons cranking my 5.7. Just make sure:
1) Marine cables not pep boysspecials, i.e.tinplated copper.
2) Properly crimped and sized lugs MARINE lugs ( tin plated),i.e. don't try to crimp with a vice grip. The "bluebox stores"in my area have crimp tool you can use at the store.
3) Don't use wing nuts
4) Don'tuse nyloknuts
5) Make sure nuts are TIG?HT
6) be careful not to short + and - battery terms when tightening nuts.
7) CLEAN contacts
8) Each battery should have - term connected directly to engine block, not each other.
9) Blue Sea battery switches ( so far) are more robust than the older "pancake"style ones.

Back